The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointing Mail to Server B from Server A Confusion

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hanadullset, Dec 2, 2015.

1. hanadullset

hanadullset Member

Nov 10, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I've been trying to find simple instructions for changing the mail settings to a new server. But, I'm unsure still of what to do.

I've recently moved one of my clients domains back to its original server. I still have the old server's email accounts live because after a slew of email issues I want to make sure that all emails are being received at the new server location. Some emails are making it to the new server but some are not, so I need to figure out how to make every single one go the new server.

I spoke to the original hosting provider and was told " need to replicate the MX records on the server and also set the Mail Handler to remote otherwise when you send email from another hosted domain, it will be delivered locally."

I'm a bit confused because under the MX records in WHM/cpanel it's got the domain name in it, so I'm thinking I need to change the DNS records to reflect the new servers information.

If I'm correct about the DNS records, what exactly should I change in there?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can create an "A" record such as "" pointing to the IP address of the server you want the email handled on. Then, update the MX records to "".

Thank you.