Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED pointing subdomain to new namebased account

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by filmotheklown, Mar 26, 2018.

  1. filmotheklown

    filmotheklown Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    151
    There's a site "mydomain.com" that is currently being hosted on GoDaddy. GoDaddy is also providing the DNS services for this domain.

    We're trying to migrate the site over to my cPanel based server as a 'namebased' account. DNS services will continue to be provided by GoDaddy.

    In order to have a smooth transition, we want to point a subdomain to the namebased account on my server initially, and then when everything is confirmed 'running-smoothly', point the main domains to it as well.

    On the GoDaddy DNS, I created an A record for 'new.mydomain.com' and pointed it to the IP address of my cPanel server 123.45.6.7. This IP address is currently working for several other namebased accounts I had previously installed on the same server. ('other-domains.com', etc.)

    I left the IP address associated with 'mydomain.com' (A record) as it was, pointing to the already running site. Thus 'mydomain.com', 'www.mydomain.com' still all point to the running GoDaddy hosted site.

    On my cPanel server, I created an account for 'mydomain.com' as eventually, we would want to point the entire domain to it rather than just 'new.mydomain.com'. I added a subdomain to that new account for 'new.mydomain.com' as well.

    So on the cPanel server, Domain = "mydomain.com" and there's a SubDomain defined for it as "new.mydomain.com"

    I can confirm that 'new.mydomain.com' has propagated to 123.45.6.7

    However, when I go to 'new.mydomain.com' I get the "Sorry!" cpanel page can can see that the URL has been redirected to 'new.mydomain.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi'

    I've done this 'point-a-temp-sub-domain' method a couple times in the past and it worked smoothly, but for some reason it's not working for me this time. Not sure where I went wrong. I've looked as the settings of some other workin namebased sites on my server as well as DNS records I control on GoDaddy that are correctly pointing to said namebased sites and they seem to be set up the same a my new problem 'new.mydomain.com' site.

    I'm not sure where to look on my cPanel server to dig deeper into this error, or if I need to change something on how I defined the site to begin with to fix this problem.

    Thank you in advance for any help or hints you can provide.
     
  2. cPanelMichael

    cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    42,734
    Likes Received:
    1,706
    Trophy Points:
    363
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

    Have you uploaded content to the document root of the subdomain (e.g. index.html)? Is the IP address associated with the cPanel account the same IP address utilized in the DNS record? Did you try clearing your browser and DNS cache to verify if the issue persists?

    How To Clear Your DNS Cache - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

    Thank you.
     
  3. filmotheklown

    filmotheklown Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    151
    Thank you for your help. While I was able to ping 'new.mydomain.com' from the terminal and had cleared my DNS cache, it seems like something on Chrome for Mac was causing problems.

    When I opened the site in Safari and it shows the correct test file. In Chrome (for Mac), I was still getting the 'Sorry!' page. I navigated to chrome://net-internals/#dns and cleared my Chrome dns cache expecting that would make the difference. Unfortunately this was not enough.

    I can see on the Chrome internals that the DNS cache had reset and it is correctly pointing to a fresh update of the correct IP address. For further testing I've opened it on Chrome (Windows) and it worked there, so I suspect there's something not cleared out on the Chrome (mac) version yet.

    Only after doing a much more complete purge of all of my Chrome caching, does it now work. Not sure exactly was still a remnant, but something was.

    I would consider this closed. Thanks for your help.
     
    cPanelMichael likes this.
Loading...

Share This Page