Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Poll - Having access to client's passwords

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imagic, Aug 4, 2003.

?

Root should have access to each account's password

1. I totally agree

130 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. I totally disagree, and my reasoning is in the below post

80 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. I don't care

12 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. We never have problems, so we don't need access to clients' accounts

17 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If cPanel ever added this, we would drop using them in a heartbeat. Allowing something like this would make the competition look fantastic.

I would probably bet that the majority that said they want it, actually have no background in *nix or any systems for that matter and are only looking at convenience and not security.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Artemis

Artemis Registered

I'm not sure I understand why this thread was even here. I would think most hosts have ticket areas where the client fills in all their information.. which would include fields for their login and password.

This way when you get a ticket, you have all the needed information and can get into their cpanel.

If there is an emergency and I feel I need to go into a clients cpanel, I use the root pass..... and afterwards I email the client and let them know I was in there and why I needed to go in there. Trust is a big issue with me, and I like to maintain it between myself and my clients.

Security comes first, and there is a reason why we are able to use the root pass instead of having to ask the client for their pass and then waiting for them to reply to our request.

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I used to think it would be best to be able to view client passwords when I first started using cPanel last August. After using it for around 9 months I've never really run into any problems. If they ask for their password I just tell them that I can't see it so I just reset it for them. No big deal.