The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL: VirtFS shutdown / reboot issues - anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cPanelKeithS, Feb 27, 2014.

1. cPanelKeithS

cPanelKeithS Active Member
    Staff Member

Z4Y3xcz.jpg

Has anyone else noticed ghost pids locking up virtfs during shutdown, and preventing reboot? Can you help me with a method to reproduce it?

2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I've seen this once a few weeks ago on one of our servers, although noticed it immediately as I was connected via KVM and so forced a reboot. Not seen it happen since so don't know what triggered it in particular at the time.

3. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I reproduced this twice using the method below. The server hung on reboot twice, but not the third time. So this is not very consistent:

1) Set a user's shell to jailshell
    2) Switch to the user and run a background process. For testing, I just had the user do a very large dd the first time, second time I ran a looping rsync. The user just needs to have a running process. The second time, I had this run as a cron job which obviously uses jailshell as well.

3) Issue a reboot from within the server. At init 6, it just stops - no errors or other output. I didn't get the same result as in the screenshot though. I had to issue a reset from the drac to get it to reboot.

4. NovemberRain

NovemberRain Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Had the same problem. Server hangs on reboot. I had enabled jailshell once but had too many problems. Sites were randomly offline. So I had to disable it and it is disabled ever since. I don't know why I am having this problem although it is disabled.

Attached Files: