POP 3 synchronized in three computers

Nov 27, 2020
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Good morning/afternoon or night guys, it's my first post. Idk if it's a problem from Cpanel or WHM configuration.
But here we have three computers that uses the same e-mail account. A most of time all they can get all the emails, But sometimes just two or one can get one specific email,
and the others computers no.
We use Thunderbird, and all of them are with the configuration to leave a copy in the server for about 5 days until it deletes the email.
Another thing, if i go to the webmail and movie the email to spam and turn it back, all the computer can receive it.
Idk if this is something about the emails that need a confirmation we the receiver reads it. Or when one of the computers marks it 'read'.

Anyway thank you guys. And sorry if it's not about the Cpanel or WHM.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This sounds like it is an issue with multiple computers using POP to access the message, which may be marking it as read or moving the message so it can't be downloaded. For these situations, it's usually better to use an IMAP connection instead of POP, as that protocol was designed to avoid these synchronization issues. Could you try that and see if you get better results?

Nov 27, 2020
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This sounds like it is an issue with multiple computers using POP to access the message, which may be marking it as read or moving the message so it can't be downloaded.
Yes, it's that the problem. And about use IMAP, idk if its possible here. Because Imap use a considerable in the server, and we use Pop to avoid this kind of problem, Because no one here are used to clean the mail box and there are some emails that just dont have do be deleted. So I really want to use the POP. I'll try IMAP if it is the only option to use.
Back to the problem, does webmail have some option to permit a email be marked 'it's not read', to other computers can download it?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd agree with cPrex .
When pop3 connects to the server, it generally downloads then removes the message.
Maybe one of your clients is doing this.

Imap would be my preferred choice, but once someone reads the message, its no longer displayed in bold, so its possible the other two users might not see it.

I guess this could be configurable in TB.

Reactions: cPRex
Nov 27, 2020
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd agree with cPrex .
When pop3 connects to the server, it generally downloads then removes the message.
Maybe one of your clients is doing this.

Imap would be my preferred choice, but once someone reads the message, its no longer displayed in bold, so its possible the other two users might not see it.

I guess this could be configurable in TB.
No they don't delete the email until take 5 days after reading. its exactly this, when someone reads its no longer in bold, I guess this is the problem. But if its never marked 'read' I'm sure the people who uses the computer will not know what is somenthing new or old..

Are you seeing too much resource usage from IMAP? If the same users are connecting to the same resources I wouldn't expect there to be too much difference.
If the emails are not deleted from the server like a Imap account does, it became a heavy account.
It's not the same because in this case after 5 or 6 days after any of the computers downloaded the message, it is deleted from the server. So with the account with the maximum of 100 mb its never full.
Some time ago, there are just 2 computers, and they don't have this problem, but now with the third its happening.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the clarification. So just to confirm, you're not seeing problems with server performance, but with disk usage? It might be easier to just bump the disk usage a tiny bit, to maybe 120M, and set them to IMAP, as that would avoid any confusion between the systems no matter how many users are accessing the account(s).

Nov 27, 2020
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the clarification. So just to confirm, you're not seeing problems with server performance, but with disk usage? It might be easier to just bump the disk usage a tiny bit, to maybe 120M, and set them to IMAP, as that would avoid any confusion between the systems no matter how many users are accessing the account(s).
yep, its not about the server (i guess). And about the space, If I but the account in Imap. If anyone clean the mailbox some day it will be full, and we really dont want this. Because here we have this problems sometimes, that people just dont clean the mailbox and it became full.
If I put the three emails to verify the server about 2 or 3 minutes, has a chance that this problem happen again? Like "anybody read the email so the others computers can download it".
But if it's not possible maybe i have to put Imap and teach the people to clean the maiboxes...

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I understand now - we have the autoexpunge trash feature here, and while this thread is older, it still has good information:

Thunderbird and other mail clients also have built-in tools you can use to auto-clean the mailboxes, which are details in the following threads: