The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pop account not working, but web mail yes

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by denisdekat09, Jan 22, 2004.

1. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I had a multitude of things go weird last night with my update. I got most all under control but two. Miva store no longer works on SSL, not sure why, but I understand that cpanel is not responsible for this sort of thing.

The other is that one email account will just not work at all via pop. I have deleted it and recreated it, used /scripts/fixpop but no luck. Any ideas?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 36187

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Could be a number of things. Posting the exact text of the error message would be a big help.

3. denisdekat09

there is no error message :(

I send emails from the outside and from inside the server to test, and they go to the users webmail inbox here:

/home/user/mail/domain.name/account/inbox

But this inbox remains empty

/home/user/mail/account/inbox

So when the user check via pop, and I tested by telneting to port 110 and login in, the system tells them they got no email. No messages. But if you log in as same user via webmail, you get it.

So, I checked permissions and so on, no luck. tried /scripts/mailperm /scripts/updatenow /scripts/upcp (tried edge version as suggested by cpanel support).

I also tried to delete and recreate the account. Somehow other accounts are working, and creating the user a new but different account seems to work. But man, I hate to not understand something and give up on it. I am dying to understand what may have gone wrong.

#3 denisdekat09, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

What are the log files saying when you try to connect?

5. denisdekat09

Sorry this took me so long, been one of those days ;)

"account" is the pop account
    "account_linux_user" is the main linux user for the Cpanel account.
    "customer_domain.org" is the customers domain
    "sever.domain.net" is my servers name.

1) sending to the user:

root@server [~]# sendmail -v account@customer_domain.org
    test
    LOG: MAIN
    <= root@sever.domain.net U=root P=local S=316
    root@server [~]# LOG: MAIN
    => account <account@customer_domain.org> R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery
    Completed

from /var/log/exim_mainlog

2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpoi-0005cW-BZ <= root@server.domain.net U=root P=local S=316
    2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpol-0005ci-83 <= account_linux_user@server.domain.net U=tci P=local-bsmtp S=715 id=E1Ajpoi-0005cW-BZ@server.domain.net
    2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpol-0005ci-83 => account <account@customer_domain.org> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpol-0005ci-83 Completed
    2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpoi-0005cW-BZ => account <account@customer_domain.org> R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery
    2004-01-22 20:09:03 1Ajpoi-0005cW-BZ Completed

2) checking the email

+OK POP3 [cppop 8.0] at [###.###.###.###]
    user account@customer_domain.org
    +OK Need a password
    pass ********
    +OK You have 0 messages totaling 14109001 octets from /home/account_linux_user/mail/customer_domain.org/account/inbox (full load)

from /var/log/maillog

Jan 22 20:16:04 server cpanelpop[24184]: Session Closed host=my.isp.com ip=###.###.###.### user=root realuser= totalxfer=50
    Jan 22 20:17:16 server cpanelpop[24443]: Login host=my.isp.com ip=###.###.###.### user=account@customer_domain.org realuser=account@customer_domain.org

3) checking the inbox results:

root@server [/var/named]# ls -l /home/account_linux_user/mail/account/inbox
    -rw-rw---- 1 tci mail 0 Jan 22 16:56 /home/account_linux_user/mail/account/inbox
    root@server [/var/named]# ls -l /home/account_linux_user/mail/customer_domain.org/account/inbox
    -rw-rw---- 1 tci mail 53765 Jan 22 20:09 /home/account_linux_user/mail/customer_domain.org/account/inbox
    root@server [/var/named]# tail /home/account_linux_user/mail/customer_domain.org/account/inbox
    Bcc:
    Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:09:03 -0500
    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.61 (1.212.2.1-2003-12-09-exp) on
    root@server.domain.net
    X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=8.0 tests=none autolearn=no version=2.61
    X-Spam-Level:

test

#5 denisdekat09, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  6. denisdekat09

update, I solved the https problem only one left and being helped right now :)

It turned out the ScriptAlias directive left and went somewhere ?!?!?!?!

Wrote it back in, I can't believe I did not think of that...

7. denisdekat09

Well, I rebooted yesterday, and I got things running ok. But the pop issue remains.

I just tried a bunch of stuff with cpanel techs advice, but all email for this account only goes to web mail. So strange!!

anyways, I hope someone may figure this out. I am probably forced now to ask the customer to create a new pop account, and forward old address to new one.

:(

8. denisdekat09

I can't help but wonder if perl 5.8 is what has buggered up my server :( I am not sure what else it could be, and exim does use PERL.

root@server [/etc]# sendmail -v pop_account@customer_domain.org
    test
    <= root@server.my_domain.net U=root P=local S=316
    => pop_account <account@customer_domain.org> R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery
    Completed

root@server [/etc]#

+OK POP3 [cppop 8.0] at [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    user account@customer_domain.org
    +OK Need a password
    pass ********
    +OK You have 0 messages totaling 14109001 octets from /home/account/mail/customer_domain.org/pop_account/inbox (full load)

How can this be? It is so strange. I have tried recreating it, running /scripts/updatenow /scripts/upcp/ /scripts/mailperm /scripts/fixpop

Every email sent to this user can be seen in the user's webmail but not pop account. How can that be? As in, every time the email is checked via pop.

Cpanel folks have been very nice, and gave me a few things to try, most of it I had tried already, but I have yet to see it get fixed. I just can't imagine how this can be :( Also, I am a tad discouraged that there is no fix. I just suggested to my customer a work around, but I hate to do that as it does not inspire confidence in our systems, which is Cpanel :( Sadness...

9. Oldgoat

Oldgoat Registered

I have the same problem with one customer also...

Has to be something we are overlooking....

He can send email by outlook and not receive..
    But webmail works both send and receive ?

Skip

10. denisdekat09

This is driving me batty :(

I checked permissions on each folder

account -> mail -> domain.name -> pop_account

also

account -> mail -> pop_account

I compare them to all other accounts. They are all the same. After recreating the account, I notice that the group permissions change for the /home/account/pop_account directory. That does not fix it, and changing it to match does not work also.

I checked in the /etc/vmail/*domain.name* files and I see nothing that looks abnormal. As in the entry for that user is the same in format as the others.

I checked to make sure no weird forwarders were set that involved this email address and none were found. The account is not over quota as the email arrives to webmail.

I am ****DYING**** to know what it is :(

11. denisdekat09

I figured it out. Turns out the cpanel did not delete the folder in /home/account/mail/domain.name/mail_account

That is, when I deleted the email account, and tried to recreate it, that folder was not being re-created. I am not sure why. Only the /home/account/mail/mail_account folder was bing re-created.

When I deleted account, then I went in and deleted that folder manually, then recreated it the pop account started, it was then that it begun working :)

Hurrah!!!!!!

12. Spider210

Spider210 Member

I still am having problems!!

Also I am using debian:

I get following error tring to send through outlook:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'blah@aoh-clan.com', Server: 'mail.blah.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

It seems as I can send email fine through webmail but it shows that I haven't received any email. Through horde I get the following error after trying to login:

A fatal error has occurred:
    DB Error: connect failed
    [line 108 of /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php]
    Details have been logged for the administrator.

Also no email from outside gets put into mail que, all mail in mail que is mail from the server saying something.

So basically I can send mail through webmail, not receive any way from anywhere and not able to send through outlook. I have tried all of the suggested solutions and looking for someone to be able to throw me an answer.

13. denisdekat09

This sounds like a different error than mine. What happened with mine was that all worked except for the one pop account was not. We could log in and connect but the pop server would not serve new email although it was in the web mail. What I found is that some how the main folder and the subfolder under the domain were interlinked somehow. As in, when I realized that deleting the account was leaving the subfolder in there, and took it out, it all started to work.

Did you submit a ticket to Cpanel folks?