The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP accounts disapearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Aug 8, 2002.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I have a problem with one of our servers where a lot of the pop accounts just seem to have vanished. I don't know if this is related to the imap introduction or not. Anyone else experience anything similar?

2. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

We have noticed a problem that a pop3 account will collect email sent to it, and if you check the account with Neomail the email is there. However, if you try to check it with Outlook Express it doesn't download anything!

I checked the file permissions and everything seemed in order. I copied the inbox file of the account that couldn't be downloaded with OE over to another pop3 account that didn't seem to have any problems with OE and behold!... I could download the email. So it doesn't seem to be the inbox file itself.

I even tried deleting the bad pop3 account, and I then resetup the account in cpanel, but had the same problem again. I'm baffled... Does anyone have any ideas???

One of our customers complained about this a while back and we couldn't see that anything was wrong. We blamed her email client, but apparently they were onto a problem here... :)

3. itf

itf Well-Known Member

use this command in a root SSH session

/scripts/updatenow ; sleep 10 ; /scripts/convertemails

4. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

[quote:c57713b64c][i:c57713b64c]Originally posted by nitromax[/i:c57713b64c]

We have noticed a problem that a pop3 account will collect email sent to it, and if you check the account with Neomail the email is there. However, if you try to check it with Outlook Express it doesn't download anything!

I checked the file permissions and everything seemed in order. I copied the inbox file of the account that couldn't be downloaded with OE over to another pop3 account that didn't seem to have any problems with OE and behold!... I could download the email. So it doesn't seem to be the inbox file itself.

I even tried deleting the bad pop3 account, and I then resetup the account in cpanel, but had the same problem again. I'm baffled... Does anyone have any ideas???

One of our customers complained about this a while back and we couldn't see that anything was wrong. We blamed her email client, but apparently they were onto a problem here... :)

[/quote:c57713b64c]

We found the fix for this problem as noted in the quote above... We started putting the entire email address in Outlook Express for the Account Name. For example if we had the account, sales@domain.com, we used to use as the Account Name: sales. But by changing it to: sales@domain.com, Outlook found the email.

Just thought I'd mention it just in case anyone ever has the same problem.