The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP Emails not sending from Google Mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by StraatDesign, Oct 2, 2016.

1. StraatDesign

StraatDesign Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Apologies in advance, I'm only relatively new to Cpanel, and I hope this is the right forum to be posting in.

Essentially I am trying to setup my personal gmail account to send and receive emails via POP from my websites cpanel server. I dont wish to store emails on the server in order to save on space.

I have gone through the usual setup when adding a POP email to Gmail (Check email from other accounts with Gmail - Gmail Help) and I can receive emails fine, however I cannot seem to be able to send.

The most baffling element of all this is that when I add it to my Apple Mail client on my mac, it works fine, I can send and receive no problems.

I have a feeling as though there may be a setting somewhere in Cpanel disallowing me to use a certain port or something on Gmail. Has anyone else come across this and been able to fix it?

My Cpanel manual settings are as attached.

Attached Files:

2. linux4me2

linux4me2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's been several years, but I remember something about Google blocking SMTP through a server if the server doesn't have a valid service SSL certificate; a self-signed certificate wasn't good enough. We dealt with this back before the free host SSL certs and AutoSSL. What we ended up doing was getting a private SSL cert for the services, and using the host for email instead of the individual sites. I think we had to add the host to SPF settings, too.

#2 linux4me2, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you notice any error output in /var/log/exim_mainlog when attempting to setup the SMTP connection in GMail? Is a signed SSL certificate installed for the mail server name you are using? If not, does the issue persist when switching to the server's hostname as the mail server name?

Thank you.