The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d912mv, May 25, 2006.

1. d912mv

d912mv Registered

Hi,

First time poster here...

I have a dedicated server with cPanel and WHM installed by the host. (WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-C114, SuSE 9.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0)

My host doesn't support cPanel and is being most unhelpful with my problems and similarly, cPanel say they can't support it as it wasn't initially tested by them, hence I'm in limbo.

Ok... my problem is with pop. Basically, it fails every now and again, usually late in the evening. The last two times it's happened it's been down all day then miraculously comes back to life. I've restarted every service several times over to no avail.

I get the following error message when trying to restart pop service:

Waiting for cppop to restart.... . . . . . . . . . . finished.

cppop statusroot 24887 0.8 3.5 18676 17128 ? S 10:44 0:00 /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/whostmgr ./rescppop
    root 24912 0.3 1.8 10432 8832 ? S 10:44 0:00 /usr/local/cpanel/bin/cppop

cppop has failed, please contact the sysadmin.

Anyone any ideas, help or pointers? I'm struggling...

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Do you know when cPanel was installed on the server, how long ago?

If it was in the last couple of months, chances are that it will be using the more recent mail setup of maildir-formatted mailboxes and it should be using Courier pop and imap servers.

If so, you might run into some problems trying to restart pop from WHM. I previously noticed that even after Courier was up and running, restarting pop through WHM killed off Courier and started cppop, which is the old cPanel proprietory pop server. I haven't tried doing the same for ages and so I'm not sure if this is still an issue. Hwever if your server should be running Courier but is instead trying to run cppop, you might encounter problems.

You'd have to first find out if your server should be running Courier imap and pop and what format the mailboxes are in. If you're sure that the mailboxes are in maildir format and you're sure that you should be using Courier, try /scripts/courierup --force.

If you're not sure, go to /home/username/mail/example.com/mailuser/ and describe the file structure you see there and also check what is listed, mail-wise, on the service status screen in WHM.