The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP server problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ddcarnage, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ddcarnage

ddcarnage Member

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to post this...

I've had my account transfered to a VPS server so I now have WHM access. However, eversince the transfer, users can't login using the pop server except for the default account address. IMAP is working as well as webmail. The only thing broken is the POP access.

Any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Frank.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Having moved from one server to another, you should check what mailbox format is in use - if it wasn't the same on both servers things are unlikely to work.

If your mailboxes are in maildir format but the server is set to use mbox format, things won't work as cppop can't read maildir formatted mailboxes. The opposite would also apply.

Can you post the transcript of what happens when you try to login to a mailbox via telnet? The error message should reveal what is going on, and the POP welcome message will indicate the POP server being used.

3. ddcarnage

ddcarnage Member

Hi,

Here's what happens when I telnet...

Code:
    telnet> open mail.vizfx.ca 110
    Trying 209.167.255.15...
    Connected to mail.vizfx.ca.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK
    user test@vizfx.ca
    +OK
    pass test
    -ERR Authentication failed (bad password?)
    Connection closed by foreign host.

When I connect using the default account,

Code:
    Connected to mail.vizfx.ca.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK
    USER vizfxca
    +OK
    PASS ***********
    +OK

The test mailbox is a new one created after the transfer. I tried with username test and test+vizfx.ca and test@vizfx.ca.

I'm not sure how to check which type of mailbox is in use... . ?

Thanks,

Frank.

4. webignition

The POP welcome message would, if I recall correctly, include cppop somewhere, whereas courier pop doesn't. I'd say you've got courier pop running.

This, however, is only good if your mailboxes are in maildir format. If the previous server was using cppop and the mailboxes were in mbox format and weren't converted during the transfer (I'm not sure whether or not they should be), then things aren't going to work.

To check the mailbox format, take a look at /home/username/mail/domainname/emailuser/. If you have 'cur', 'new' and 'tmp' directories, and if there is the odd file lying around with 'courier' in the filename, chances are that it's maildir format. In which case everything should work.

If the mailboxes are in mbox format, try running /scripts/convert2maildir to convert, remembering to backup mailboxes first (the script gives you this option).

If it appears that your mailboxes are in maildir format, try running /scripts/courierup --force. You could always give /scripts/convert2maildir a shot - it shouldn't harm mailboxes that are already in maildir format and might just kick something in the right direction.

5. ddcarnage

ddcarnage Member

Before I try anything just want to double check with you... I checked the services and it says I'm running cppop. Also when I started the script you told me to, it said "maildir is not active, this system is using mbox".

I also have another account which is like the one I had transfered to the VPS and by the look of the folders in the mail directory, it looks like they're all the same so I was probably using mbox before the transfer.

Perhaps that's not the problem .. ?

6. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

Check your mail logs and see what the error is. To do this monitor the exim_mainlog while you try to login and watch the logs.

To do this login to SSH and type:
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog
    And watch the logs as you try to connect to pop. This will give you a better idea of the error.

BTW - you should disable telnet on your VPS and only login using SSH -2. There is a good thread on securing your server in this forum someplace. Also I like this post on WHT that is geared twards VPS:
    http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468168&highlight=brute+force+attack

7. ddcarnage

ddcarnage Member

Hey,

I checked the exim log files as you suggested. When I tried connecting, there was nothing coming up in the logs. I checked all the log files in the folder and found something interesting in the message file :

Code:
    Mar  1 16:59:24 vzserver1 stunnel[10720]: stunnel 4.04 on i686-pc-linux-gnu PTHREAD+LIBWRAP with OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
    Mar  1 16:59:24 vzserver1 stunnel[10720]: FD_SETSIZE=16384, file ulimit=1024 -> 500 clients allowed
    Mar  1 16:59:24 vzserver1 stunnel[10720]: Error binding pop3s to 0.0.0.0:995
    Mar  1 16:59:24 vzserver1 stunnel[10720]: bind: Address already in use (98)
    Mar  1 17:00:55 vzserver1 popa3d(pam_unix)[8226]: check pass; user unknown
    Mar  1 17:00:55 vzserver1 popa3d(pam_unix)[8226]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=
    Mar  1 17:00:58 vzserver1 popa3d[8226]: Authentication failed for UNKNOWN USER from 70.80.13.15

I'm currently searching the web for something related to Error binding pop3s to 0.0.0.0:995... Does this ring a bell for you?

Thanks a lot,

Frank.

8. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

I have never seem that error before. Stunnel and pop3s are relevant to using SSL, if you have "use ssl connection" selected in your email account (outlook or whatever) try turning it off. I am guessing here but it is all I got. :eek:

I would contact your hosting admin, they might de familiar with this error.

9. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

Hey, By chance I found a simular problem in the forum with this solutions. It is close to what was suggested by webignition:

This was in this post:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=47624&page=1&pp=15&highlight=stunnel

webignition's suggestion seems to be the solution after all:

10. ddcarnage

ddcarnage Member

My hosting compagny looked at it and they fixed the problem. They didn't tell me what it was but I want to thank both of you for your time :) Really apreciated.

Frank.

11. webignition

Good to hear that all is OK. Would it be too much trouble to push your data center into revealing the solution? It may be good to know!

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's the problem:

The server was running a non-cPanel provided POP3 daemon. They probably stopped it in xinetd. It often happens when the OS installation is initially incorrect (i.e. not minimal as it should be for cPanel).

13. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Just noticed the same message in my logs, after cpanel and cppop stopped working. I only have cppop running, no courier or other mail software.

Mar 29 20:45:50 host stunnel[18168]: FD_SETSIZE=16384, file ulimit=1024 -> 500 clients allowed
    Mar 29 20:45:50 host stunnel[18168]: Error binding pop3s to 0.0.0.0:995
    Mar 29 20:45:50 host stunnel[18168]: bind: Address already in use (98)

I restarted cpanel and all is working again, but I still have no idea what caused the problem.

Update:

I checked if all the files in /etc/xinetd.d are set to disabled=yes except for cpimap.

I found a file 'pop-3' that is set to disable=no. I assume this is the culprit although I couldn't find any evidence of this in the logs. The server was rebooted about 6 hours before cpanel stopped working and the error mentioned above showed up.

Can someone confirm that cpimap is indeed the only file in /etc/xinetd.d that needs to be set to disallowed=no ?

#13 jamesbond, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Normally, yes, you would only need cpimap enabled and all the others should be disabled.

15. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Well, still haven't fixed this issue. The first time upcp runs, after a reboot, cpanel dies because of the binding error. I restart cpanel service, and everything is working fine afterwards.

It's not a critical issue to me, since it only happens one time after a reboot, but nonetheless annoying :)

16. maverick23

maverick23 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Dumb question

i just converted to maildir... now i was just wondering that where can i check the maillog (where in i can see who downloaded the mail n from where)