The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 AND Email Forwarding together.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by slobizman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. slobizman

slobizman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    In my gmail account I was retrieving emails from my hosted email address via POP3. And I had that email address forwarding to my gmail address as well. My web host said I should remove the forwarding and just do the pop3. I did and the problem with this is that now I have to wait for gmail to check for messages, which is about every 15 minutes. When I had forwarding on, I got them immediately. Now the host says I can put the forwarding back on. LOL.

Question, is there any downside to doing both POP3 and email forwarding together? And will the emails still not be stored in my web hosting account if I add back the forwarding?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could forward the emails and setup POP3 in GMail, but you will receive duplicate emails. The messages are removed from the server if you download them via POP3.

Thank you.

3. slobizman

slobizman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, when I previously had POP3 and forwarding going on simultaneously, I never received duplicate emails.

P.S. Great forum, glad to have found it!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Google might have a filter that automatically removes the duplicate emails. I am happy to see that you find our forums here useful.

Thanks!