The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 blocked when license file expired

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by md201, Aug 30, 2002.

1. md201

md201 Active Member

Hi

I have server with burst.net and it says my cpanel license on server is expired.

now this have also blocked pop3 email access to server. Whenever any user try to access pop3 email server it says

Server ' xxxxxxxx.com',Protocol:POP3, server response: '-ERR Cpanel License is expired',Port:110

This is some kind of problem with either burst or darkorb license, no matter whomever is having this problem my server is totally screwed up.

It has been more then 16 hours and I am fadeup from responding to unwanted trouble-tickets (more then 40) and have issued 10 refunds.

Burst says its problem with darkorb.

This is very serious issue, if license file is expired the POP3 server should NOT be blocked by cpanel.

CPANEL SHOULD NOT BLOCK POP3 &:-/

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET POP3 SERVER RUNNING?

HELP !!

-mahinder

2. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

A lot of people use cpanel just for email features. You're lucky cPanel don't cripple your whole machine. If you don't pay a bill or anything then you deserve it. Personally I love watching people bitch when cPanel stops working due to non pay. This goes to show you who had the last laugh and guess who it was Dark ORB.

PS: Nick why don't you make it cripple everything? FTP, EMail, HTTP, IMAP, Interchange and everything else. Make it so absolutely nothing works. Shit if possible make it so if in shell you do ps -aux it'll say License Invalid. If they don't pay then they deserve it.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Thats cruel awsol. DarkORB has no right to do such a thing. Perhaps IMAP, yes, as it is DarkORB software, but if the software does not belong to them, then they have no right to touch it in any way. Also keep in mind, problems do happen time to time, where the license fee is paid, but the problem still exists. Its not always the hosts fault. Get a life man.

4. md201

md201 Active Member

[quote:e566e1359c][i:e566e1359c]Originally posted by awsol[/i:e566e1359c]

A lot of people use cpanel just for email features. You're lucky cPanel don't cripple your whole machine. If you don't pay a bill or anything then you deserve it. Personally I love watching people bitch when cPanel stops working due to non pay. This goes to show you who had the last laugh and guess who it was Dark ORB.

PS: Nick why don't you make it cripple everything? FTP, EMail, HTTP, IMAP, Interchange and everything else. Make it so absolutely nothing works. Shit if possible make it so if in shell you do ps -aux it'll say License Invalid. If they don't pay then they deserve it.[/quote:e566e1359c]

awsol, let me tell you few things, I PAID for the server which include cpanel license fees and it wasn't my problem, the problem was with burst.net or darkorb and burst told me this problem belongs to darkorb.net license database.

I have to response to more then 70 queries, 8 refunds and 2 cancellations because POP3 was blocked and no user on server was able to retrieve emails from server for more then 16 hours until burst fixed the problem.

Now who the heck is responsible for loss of business and goodwill *angry*

I am sure darkorb will not take your suggestions seriously or they will find nobody using cpanel atleast not me.

We are seriously considering about cpanel licenses, if such kind of NONSENSE is not removed from cpanel and will cancel all our cpanel licenses soon.

Take this issue very seriously, if it can happen to me, it can happen to you also. :0

We host many servers on cpanel since last 2-3 years, and we love cpanel since it was developed with vdi.net and since the time we had MANY MANY license file expired issues and if pop3 was blocked all the time we must have lost 50% of clients till date.

Hey nick, why don't you keep (send warning email) feature to license user and warn user 2-3 days in advance to pay for license, in this way if there is any error it can be solved by owner immediately.

Please consider this option.

5. steven

steven Active Member

[quote:2f8fca37d5][i:2f8fca37d5]Originally posted by awsol[/i:2f8fca37d5]

PS: Nick why don't you make it cripple everything? FTP, EMail, HTTP, IMAP, Interchange and everything else. Make it so absolutely nothing works. Shit if possible make it so if in shell you do ps -aux it'll say License Invalid. If they don't pay then they deserve it.[/quote:2f8fca37d5]

This is about the dumbest thing that I have ever heard of, and I sincerely hope that you are/were joking. See most of us get our cpanel licenses through distributors, we to a large extent are at their mercy. Now unless we were with them when they send the check or submit the credit card information to Dark Orb, there is really no way to monitor that. That is why we go with reputable distributors that are listed on Cpanels site, but every once in a while, some phreak accident can arise, and imagine what you are left with if this happens. Be realistic and don't dilute yourself into thinking that this is funny in any way, when this type of thing happens, it is a disaster for a hosting company (if you think that it is funny then you have serious problems). Your idea however noble in theory is completely ludacris in practice.

-Steven

6. Dotcoms

Dotcoms Active Member

I have to agree with everyone else - There are occasions when the host is not to blame, as per mahinder's in this instance.

This is business, hosts earn their living with the likes of CPanel - I don't think it is too much to ask that DarkOrb contact the server owner and let them know of any problems that arise with payments etc - Users I believe should be able to download their email for a few days at least, giving time to sort out any problems that may exist - People who own licenses and don't pay the distributor - yes they deserve cutting off - But how about introducing say a 3-5 day period after notification from darkOrb and then cutting the license off?

Alternatively, how about just the CPanel control panel being blocked via the web - allowing service's to carry on but not to access CPanel to modify things - Is that a compromise?

7. BreeOge

BreeOge Member

This is actualy a legal issue..

Try contacting the company that made the mail server. They in no way gave cpanel the right to stop e-mail or any other program that may work with cpanel or any other program. If your cpanel licenses expires, you should not be able to access cpanel and whm and that is all. Everything else should keep working. It would just force you to do everything manual!! This is a legal issue and I am sure the maker of the mail server software would love to get cpanel for that.. make some $$$$$ off cpanel..

The only way cpanel would be in a legal position to do anything about it.. is if they personaly made the program. Take cpanel to court for loss of buisness! You actualy have a case!! &IF CPANEL IS SET UP TO ACTUALY BLOCK A PROGRAM IT DIDNT CREATE&

To give an example of why this would be illegal!!

You have microsoft windows and you run allot of programs on it.. Then one day you buy a program to help you do something and it is on a month to month basis. Well you decided that you dont want that program anymore.. and you let it expire.. All of a sudden WINDOWS only works half as good as it use too or not at all. You cant do stuff even manualy.

No programmer would ever do this due to the illegal issue with it.. and on top of that.. I can bet windows would sue the living daylights out of that program for illegal modification of their BASE software!

Cpanel is a great program and does thing well, but it should not affect the way YOUR computer works if the cpanel licenses expires.. only the cpanel should stop working!! ;)

Its Vague but, in the jest of it all Cpanel is allowed to modify the Exim Mail server as LONG as they do not affect what it is ment to do, or Stop it from doing what it is suppose to do!

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

8. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

9. gorgo

gorgo Well-Known Member

isn't the mail server programmed by DarkOrb?

Since the mail system is called CPMail?

10. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

The pop server is:

Server Greeting: POP3 [DarkORB cppop 1.2] etc.

The MTA is Exim and IIRC it keeps on working while the license is expired, but I'm not that sure.

11. parag

parag Well-Known Member

[quote:689ae9f904][i:689ae9f904]Originally posted by Juanra[/i:689ae9f904]

The pop server is:

Server Greeting: POP3 [DarkORB cppop 1.2] etc.

The MTA is Exim and IIRC it keeps on working while the license is expired, but I'm not that sure.[/quote:689ae9f904]

it does work...

smtp and pop3 works very well even if the license is expired.

best regards,
    Parag

12. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Active Member

EXIM continues to function, but look long and hard for the author of CPPOP.....i'll give you a hint.....'CP' at the start probably stands for &CPanel&.

If your license has expired so has your right to use DarkORB's software - and that includes the almight pop3 client (which nobody can live without). It doesn't matter who's fault it is. As I see it, they are under absolutely NO obligation to do anything different than what they are doing right now in regards to this issue.

/* edit: Actually, sir, POP3 does NOT continue to function. It will keep running but you'll get an error messages from your POP3 client */

13. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

nick built that pop server from scratch he told me if I remember right. If people don't pay their bill then they should not be able to use it. I might be a minority here with awsol but I agree with him. At the very least cppop should halt. And I have been turned off before as well. It hurts when it happens. I think 99% of the time the turn off is legit.

14. BreeOge

BreeOge Member

Even if he did make the pop.. then yes he would have the right to turn it off if you didnt pay the fee.. but in a turn of things.. he is also screwing people that decided not to use cpanel anymore.. and decided to do things a diffrent way!!! He is physicaly making it so that the buisness may not run anymore just because they dont want to use his product anymore!!

The questions are.. how does cpanel tie into exim with the pop program? Can you replace the pop program with another and will it start working again?

15. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

How about when you pay $69 a month for CPanel and the stuff that is SUPPOSED to work doesn't work. I have had a ticket in for over a week on how my upgrade to build 60 broke phpMyAdmin!

I now have a customer complaining that he created an Interchange shopping cart and it doesn't let him log in. For $70 dollars a month could someone at darkorb support the frickin software? Is that too much to ask? Fix the stuff. And make it so that a simple upgrade doesn't break five things.

16. md201

md201 Active Member

[quote:9f4b6e2bd4][i:9f4b6e2bd4]Originally posted by rpmws[/i:9f4b6e2bd4]

nick built that pop server from scratch he told me if I remember right. If people don't pay their bill then they should not be able to use it. I might be a minority here with awsol but I agree with him. At the very least cppop should halt. And I have been turned off before as well. It hurts when it happens. I think 99% of the time the turn off is legit.[/quote:9f4b6e2bd4]

ok, agreed, but it should do it after giving warning message atleast 48-72 hours before, for the time it can just turn off whm interface (not cpanel) this should give time to server owner who is making payment for license to get the issue resolved.

Now i am being fare over here, why don't you understand, we don't do hosting business for fun, we are not college students doing hosting for pocket expenses, we (hosts) spend $$$$$ in advertising every month, maintain support people, finances and when our hard earned clients leave us because of lame problems of others, it hearts and it hearts more then anything, because we are not fraud, we don't want to cheat on cpanel license money then also we are treated as cheats.

We are cpanel customers, we rely on them for our business and we have right to get warning message if something goes wrong between cpanel distributor and darkorb regarding license issue then we the paying customers should not be the victim.

I will be very thankful to darkorb, if cpanel simply sends email warning every 4 hours, atleast 72 hours before suspension like this 'WARNING - CPANEL LICENSE EXPIRED - CONTACT YOUR LICENSE DISTRIBUTOR TO OVOID SUSPENSION'.