The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 multiple lines in maillog file

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Arvy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Arvy

Arvy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

In my server with latest cPanel/WHM versions, everytime some user checks his email account, 8 lines are logged in the maillog file. 8 lines with LOGIN and 8 lines with LOGOUT. This happens with all mail accounts.

The problem: the Bandwidth Usage report is giving wrong statistics. A user that downloads 20 Mbytes in a day, the report shows 160 Mbytes downloaded. With a high utilization, users get a "bandwidth exceeded" message that is not true.

My question is:
    - any idea how to correct the multiple log lines?
    - if not, how can I set cPanel to ignore all POP3 traffic?
    - if yes, can I "cat /dev/null >/var/log/maillog" some minutes before the cron job?
    - cPanel reads "maillog" file once a day to calculate the bandwidth usage or not?

Please help.

Thank you a lot,
    Roger

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You might want to check that the entires in /var/cpanel/username are valid for each user. Incorrect bandwidth reporting where the value is over-reported by an exact multiple of the real value is often due to duplicate domain names in /var/cpanel/username.

I believe all bandwidth monitoring is performed in real time. I don't think that bandwidth usage is calculated from a given service's log file, hence I think it unlikely that the multiple entries in /var/log/maillog will be directly responsible for incorrect bandwidth reporting.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You probably have multiple lines in /etc/syslog.conf. There are various posts regarding this on this forum. You can check this thread:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=52875

Some of the other threads may contain more detailed information, you will just need to search for them.

4. Arvy

Arvy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello sparek-3,

thank you very much for our tip, I think you absolutely right. I've opened this file and there are exact 8 identical lines about maillog. I've removed, restarted syslog and now only one line is logged. I think the next bandwidth report will be ok.

Thank you very much for your help, I really apreciate.

Thanks webignition too, for your reply.

Roger