The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 Pull / Mdir Push Email Migration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JerryHobby, Jul 31, 2007.

1. JerryHobby

JerryHobby Registered

Jun 22, 2006
    I have a client that uses Yahoo premium mail services, so we have full POP3 capability. He wants to move to my server and use SquirrelMail. The problem is that we must find a way to get his old mail out of Yahoo and into SquirrelMail.

Since SquirrelMail doesn't have a built in "Pop External Account" feature, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. The only method I can think of is to pop his Yahoo mail with a utility that knows how to pop his mail and then shove it into his account's mail directory. Then SquirrelMail will see it as new incoming mail. Is there a utility that can to this?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

If you have Horde on the Cpanel machine:
    1. Log into Horde as that user
    2. Click on Mail (the icon at the top specifically)
    3. Then click on Options (the icon at the top specifically)
    4. Then click on Edit your preferences for accessing other mail accounts
    5. Then click on Create a New Account
    - select IMAP/POP3 Mail Servers
    - Accounts Name: Users Old Mail
    - Username:
    - Password: their Yahoo password
    - Server: Yahoos POP3 server
    - Remote Mailbox: if you want to fetch mail for something other than the Yahoo Inbox
    - UNcheckmark Delete Fetched Messages from Remote Server
    - Create it
    6. Then select Fetch Mail at the top and you should be able to fetch mail

CAVEAT: Make sure "Delete Fetched Messages" is NOT checkmarked. This _should_ work. And if they have multiple folders in Yahoo, you can set up multiple fetch accounts in horde to fetch the different remote mailboxes into different local folders.

I don't know much about Yahoo - but if Yahoo supports IMAP, it would be easiest to create an IMAP account on your local machine for the old Yahoo mail and the new Cpanel mail of your user. Then drag/cop the messages from their Yahoo boxes over to the email account on the Cpanel machine. Of course if they have a lot of mail and/or a lot of large messages, it may take you forever to do this.

Hope that helps.

3. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

May 6, 2004
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Or, just add the POP3 plugin to SquirrelMail. Find it for free on the SquirrelMail website.