The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3, squirrel, and Neomail can't be logged into

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hostit1, Apr 1, 2004.

1. hostit1

hostit1 Well-Known Member

We have had this problem on two brand new Fedora boxes. Regular email users are not able to pop their email account via 3rd party emaii software such as outlook. Also, they can't access Squirrel mail or Horde. They can only access email via Neomail. This is a big problem.

I also tried preforming a ./fixwebmail and received the below:
    chown: failed to get attributes of `/usr/local/etc/cpanel/base/webmail/data': No such file or directory
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `/usr/local/etc/cpanel/base/webmail/data': No such file or directory

This has happened on the only two Fedora machines we have ever tried. There is a bug somewhere. I don't know if it is the way the os has been installed. I assumed that this would be resolved since RedHat 9's life cycle is about to end.

Sincerely,

Tim Rice

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Is dovecot running?

When we first booted my Fedora box, dovecot was running, ergo cppop wouldn't (even though the green lite was showing for pop3;)

If so, kill all dovecot processes and start cppop:)

3. hostit1

hostit1 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I did have to hire someone and you were right:

The problem seems to be that there was another mail service (dovecot) running on port 110 instead of cppop (CPanel's POP server). I stopped it and restarted cppop and now it's cppop that's listening on 110 so it looks like it's working. However I don't have a pop login/pass to test with, so please verify that the POP service is working as expected. If it's working you may want to remove dovecot from the any startup scripts.

I am suprise that cpanel software does not detect this and disable the other mail program or at least error out.

I had a similiar problem and cpanel could not fix it. I did let them know of the problem so they are at least armed with the knowledge.

Thanks again.
    Tim Rice
    Host It Now Networks

4. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

I believe it has more to do with the way your NOC initially setup the box.

In my case, I guess they got the box online after fedora install, installed cpanel and then started cpanel.

Took me about 4 hours to figure out the dovecot thing. Once I killed dovecot, I never edited any startup scripts and have subsequently rebooted and dovecot has never started since:)