The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 through port 995 doesn't auth SMTP?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by patronus, Mar 3, 2007.

1. patronus

patronus Member

My understanding is that....

Just after a user checks mail via POP3, the system then authorizes that user (for 30 minutes) to send mails via SMTP. And that's why there is no need to send a separate password to authenticate when sending via SMTP. Correct?

At least with my current provider, POP checks through port 110 serve to authorize later SMTP sends as described above. However, POP checks through port 995 do not serve to authorize later SMTP sends, whether attempting to send through port 25 or port 465.

Question #1: Has anyone had any luck using POP checks through port 995 to authorize later SMTP sends through port 25 or port 465?

On a somewhat related note. the only reason that I want to send POP checks via port 995 is to protect my password. That is, I'm not so concerned with the security of the data itself.

Question #2: How secure is password when using Outlook 2003 (not express) to make a POP check?

2. sierrablue

sierrablue Member

Many prefer SMTP athentication (uncluding myself)
    smtp authentication vs. pop before smtp

Outlook does not support TLS and cPanel EXIM comes with no configured SPA driver, so the only way is to log via SSL (port 965 POP and 465 SMTP).

3. patronus

patronus Member

Thanks much for the info. I was afraid that was the case.

I too prefer SMTP authentication. But I'm afraid that I don't have choice in this: My provider only allows for POP before SMTP authorization.

So I still wonder whether anyone has had any luck using POP checks through port 995 to authorize later SMTP sends through port 25 or port 465?

I ask because I'm not sure whether this a problem unique to my provider, or whether it is a limitation inherent to all instances of cPanel.

#3 patronus, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. patronus

patronus Member

After a little more research, I find that this bug has been previously reported.