The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POP3 works IMAP doesn't.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustinK, Oct 2, 2002.

1. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

Alright, I've updated, been able to connect through pop3, restarted IMAP through WHM and what I thought did it manually (xinetd), checked for duplicate info in the /var/cpanel/users/ files as well as anything else I can think of, but IMAP just refuses to work for a couple of the accounts on one of the servers.

I believe it may be happening on more than one account, but only one user has reported it so far as I see multiple:
    Oct 2 04:06:25 servername imapd[10335]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=localhost [127.0.0.1]
    Oct 2 04:06:25 servername imapd[10335]: Logout user=??? domain=clientdomain.com host=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Does anyone know where one could get some good IMAP troubleshooting tips from for whatever IMAP modules/programs cpanel activated? I really hate not knowing where to look to track these things down.

2. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If you have portsentry set in extreme paranoid mode, you might be blocking port 143. I'd check that, then comment out the log_on* items in /etc/xinetd.d/cpimap, restart the services, and see if that takes care of it.

3. JustinK

Thanks Annette. :) Portsentry doesn't appear to be blocking anything and commenting out the lines then restarting doesn't appear to have fixed the problem. Just seems to be happening on random accounts. Some can access IMAP/Horde and some can't.

4. Annette

PartnerNOC

Pretty weird. I don't have any other suggestions right now - probably the lack of sleep talking. IMAP has always been a real pain for us until these latest rounds of updates in the past two weeks. Maybe Nick can work some magic...

5. JustinK

Yep. These random occurances keep popping up and it gets to me having tickets open for a week trying to figure these things out. Guess it's time for a DarkOrb ticket. Again, thanks for the information you provided. :)

6. JustinK

Quick question Annette, the servers that are now pretty well fixed up, what did you have the update settings set to? I'm wondering if I have to go over to the manual release mode instead of manual stable mode to get an update that may fix these up.

7. JustinK

Alright, I guess having the settings to stick with the Stable releases has it's disadvantages... mainly the IMAP fixes were only in the Release releases. Sorry for the waste of time Nick. Will remember to go for the Release version next time.

8. Annette

PartnerNOC

We run on the auto -& release updates on all machines, as we haven't noticed all that many issues even when letting it upcp to Rxxx. Glad that things worked out for you.

9. pfmartin

pfmartin Well-Known Member

i have the latest release 19 and am having sporadic problems with certain accounts being able to login to IMAP and not others. Anybody know if there is a specific solution to this?

Thanks!

Helpless