The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poptop PPTPD VPN Server on cPanel/WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mbressman, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mbressman

mbressman Active Member

Am planning on install PPTPD (and PPP) on my CentOS VPS running cPanel/WHM. Any reason why this would cause any issues?

There are some guides out there for how to do it on CentOS (such as this one: /http://www.photonvps.com/billing/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=58 and even a guide for how to do it on a cPanel server (/http://georgetasioulis.com/how-to-install-and-configure-pptp-vpn-on-a-cpanel-server/) - it seems to be unsupported but not very problematic.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The instructions you provided indicate it should not interfere with any cPanel services, but do keep in mind that it's not supported so our support team would not be able to troubleshoot any issues that arise from it's use.

Thank you.

3. mbressman

mbressman Active Member

So I installed a PPTP VPN running on a Xen cPanel VPS (which is running CentOS 6.5 64-bit) and can connect to it, but can't get out to the Internet through it once connected. I'm running CSF on it also, and think the issue might be the configuration of the csfpre.sh file:

Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p gre -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p gre -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp0 -j ACCEPT

It might not be that though, as I think I've tried disabling CSF/LFD and still wasn't able to get external Internet access when connected to the VPN. Not sure if this matters or not, but when I connect and then look at my ipconfig settings on my Win7 machine connected to the VPN, there is no gateway listed for the VPN connection properties.

Also, in the csfpost.sh file, I have it set up like this:

Code:
    service pptpd stop
    service pptpd start

Which I assume means it's supposed to stop and then start the PPTP VPN service whenever CSF starts/restarts. When I do a stop/start or restart of CSF after the VPS is running, this works as expected. But on a VPS reboot, it never starts up the pptp service, even though CSF starts up which I assume means it should run the commands in this csfpost.sh file. I've gotten around this for the time being by using Webmin to tell the pptp service to automatically start on boot-up, but since this isn't the directions that were referenced in the links I posted in my initial post, I wasn't sure if this was going to cause any issues either.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    that's not what the csfpost.sh id for it to load custom iptables rules the "iptables -A" rules

remove "service pptpd stop service pptpd start" and run

chkconfig pptpd on

will start it at boot

5. mbressman

mbressman Active Member

OK, will try that, although now that I've set the service to start automatically every boot, do I need to do anything at all? Should I change that back to the way it was previously where it wasn't starting automatically at every boot and then csfpost.sh will start it with the command you provided above?

Also - any help on the other issue regarding no Internet access when connected to the VPN?

Thanks very much!