The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port 25 closed, refusing connections

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckh, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    running centos 6.3 on a new server, latest cPanel Release, configserver firewall.

Got a weird problem. The server isn't receiving email. It sends fine.

csf configuration shows port 25 inbound/outbound open.

From two other servers I tried to telnet in to the server and the connection is refused ( telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 25 )

It is refused whether csf is enabled or disabled. Both the server IPs are also whitelisted in the firewall that I tried to telnet to this server.

Host Access control is blank, nothing there.

I can telnet outbound on the server to the other two servers. I can ping the server. If I use email troubleshooter tool in WHM from one of the other servers, it correctly displays the IP address. Traceroute works fine.

I was thinking that the datacenter was filtering the inbound somewhere, but, they said they weren't, though I don't think they verified.

nmap run on the server using 127.0.0.1 shows the smtp port open while using the server IP or the private IP shows port 25 to be closed.

I can't think of anything else that could cause the port to be closed. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It was an exim configuration error. Problem solved.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I am happy to hear you were able to resolve the issue. Would you mind sharing the specific Exim configuration issue you resolved?

Thank you.

4. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I copied the configuration settings for exim on another server I was setting up. The other server had assp deluxe installed on it, the new one didn't. I had removed 'most' of the assp settings but missed removing "local_interfaces 127.0.0.1"