The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port 25 Not Responding after OS Re-installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eugenevdm, Jan 20, 2007.

1. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Registered

I'm troubleshooting server for my client who says e-mails are working. We re-installed the operating system after a mirrored drive crash.

When I am on localhost I can telnet to port 25 and I get:
    root@host [/usr]# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 host.----.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.4/8.13.4; Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:06:46 +0200

When I telnet from the outside network the port is not responding.

My question is, does cPanel use SendMail or Exim? Or is Exim just an MTA and SendMail provides port 25 services.

I noticed on their old drive that where wasn't even any /etc/mail sendmail.cf files, so this is where the mystery begins.

Additional complication is that I am not able to administer cPanel using a web interface so if you have advice please try to tell me where the configuration files lie on the server.

2. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Registered

Problem Solved

I searched this forum and found that there is an Exim logfile /var/log/exim_mainlog that can be examined. I got this in the log:

socket bind() to port 25 for address (any IPv4) failed: Address already in use: waiting 30s before trying again
    (4 more tries)

I stopped Sendmail using /etc/init.d/sendmail stop and then did /etc/init.d/exim restart and now port 25 is responding properly. Crisis possibly averted for now.