The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port 80 access stops for a minute, then goes on again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webmanagement, Aug 11, 2012.

1. webmanagement

webmanagement Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, I'm using a couple of hosting companies, and there is a strange problem with two of them, both using cPanel.

The symptoms are the same with both: the access to all the sites on the server stops for one, up to two minutes, while the access to cPanel administration is still available through this time. Then everything goes on again, like nothing has happened. Is there some kind of firewall integrated in cPanel, that limits access when there's a possibility for overload, in order to keep the server intact? I just have no idea what happens, but I observe it only with those companies, whose servers have cPanel installed. If some overload happens with other of the companies I use, I lose access to both port 80, FTP and administration. Any idea? And could that setting be changed?

Or, another idea - cPanel restarts configuration, after a user adds an add-on domain, subdomain, or performs some other action in the cPanel administration? Just guessing...

#1 webmanagement, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Escobar

Escobar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, if you are having a high server load then Apache itself starts acting up. I've seen many servers that shutdown Apache when the load is too high, that might be what you are experiencing. If this keeps constantly happening to you then I would recommend optimizing your sites/databases and of course upgrading your VPS or server.

3. webmanagement

webmanagement Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll pass it on to the support crew. Hopefully they would know what should be changed in Apache, in order to make it restart less frequently. Because, I don't feel the sites start loading slowly, before it restarts, it just restarts. I guess, if they change something in configuration of Apache, they could make sites load slower for a while, when there's a higher load, instead of letting Apache restart itself.

4. Escobar

Escobar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can always rebuild your httpd.conf

5. webmanagement

webmanagement Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The support told me, that Apache restarts with the "Graceful" restart. Do you know what the reason for that could be, and what's the most probable limit, which should be changed, in order for this not to happen? Not all the resources of the server are used.

6. Escobar

Escobar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    An Apache graceful restart should not cause Apache to be down for a few minutes. You shouldn't even notice an issue when it does that actually.

When the issue occurs, you should ask them to check the Apache error log to see if there's anything logging. That log is at /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log location. You'd want to let them know the exact time in your timezone when it happens again for them to compare the logs.

Also, when you state the access stops for the websites, are you getting the page hanging to load or an actual error message? If it is hanging, it sounds most definitely like a possible overload of processes to Apache. Apache wouldn't hang in a browser if it were stopped / restarting, it would just show a connection refused if that were the case almost immediately.