The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port questions, which one for whom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by linkup, Jan 31, 2007.

1. linkup

linkup Active Member

When my server host turned over my first cPanel server to me they only told me about port 2087 and 2083. I have since found this information on this forum:

It isn't inherently clear to me which ones the server owner is supposed to use, the reseller or the single domain owner. Do all six work for all three categories of users and it is just a matter of knowing what name/password to type in?

It wasn't obvious to me that after creating a reseller account in WHM that I had to still use WHM to add domains to the account. I assumed WHM was for the server owner and cPanel was for the clients, single domains or resellers.

I am a long time Ensim user and this is like learning a foreign language and the documents and help files I read gave me no information about the ports and what to use for what and when?

Thanks!

Lew

2. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

Depends on which functions you need to access.

Owner and Reseller, to work at the server level, will use either 2087 or 2086, with 2087 being preferred as it's a secure connection.

Site or account owners that need to make changes within the account level use 2083 or 2082, with 2083 preferred for same reason.

All users that want to access Webmail will use 2096 or 2095, with 2096 being the secure port.

WHM can also be accessed at http://domain.com/whm (which can be configured to roll to https); cPanel can be accessed in the same way: http://domain.com/cpanel. So can webmail.

Hope that helps.

3. linkup

linkup Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation of that information.

When you create an account you affiliate a domain name to that account. If you enter thatdomain.com/whm, or if you enter any other domain in that reseller account, does it take you to a "to level" account panel or is the panel only effective for the domain you enter in?

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This was mentioned above, but hardly anyone uses the :2087 stuff, I can never remember it myself. What most people use is domain.com/whm or domain.com/securewhm for WHM. When you want cpanel you can try domain.com/cpanel or domain.com/securecontrolpanel (not sure why it's not securecpanel, but it's not).

There's a Cpanel/WHM book available from Packt publishing that will probably save you a packt of time. (pun intended, but the book is good).

- brian

5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Going to anydomain.com/whm will bring you to Web Host Manager that manages any user account/domain owned by the reseller who's name and password you login with. Going to anydomain.com/cpanel will log you into the control panel for the domain of the username password you login with. Essentially, it doesn't matter what domain you go to (even the IP will do) it's the name:word that's important.

Keep in mind that WHM is for managing services to user accounts and the server in general, not individual domains.

cPanel is for managing individual domains.

If you want a single point of login to manage multiple domains, you can login to WHM, go to Account Information > List Accounts and you will see a list of all accounts owned by that reseller. Click on the cPanel icon for the account you wish to manage and you will get the cPanel for that account in a new window. Once there, if you wish to change accounts/domains you are working on, there will be a pop-menu of the accounts under your (you the reseller) control.

6. linkup

linkup Active Member

Thanks to both of you for the tips...it seems that the documentation is a bit too simplistic in some respects and glosses over the real information needed.

Appreciate all the help and the book suggestion!

Lew