The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port Remapping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sachin007, Jan 8, 2005.

1. sachin007

sachin007 Registered

Hey Guyz..

I know to access Cpanel the port 2082 must be enabled but as it's a non standard port, many ISP's block that port ( obviously for security reasons )
    I got a client facing that problem and I came to know about PORT REMAPPING..But my question is that how a person can do that on his end ?

I'll let you know something about PORT REMAPPING..
    *>The idea behind port remapping is that instead of running a service on a well known port, where it can easily be exploited, it is better to run it on a not so well known port, as any HACKER, will find it more difficult to find that service.
    The ports used for remapping are usually easy to remember. They are chosen keeping in mind the default port number at which the service being remapped should be running.
    For eg: POP by default runs on port 110. However, if you were to remap it, you would chhose any of the following: 1010, 11000, 1111, ... etc.

*>Also be sure, while port remapping; the ports that will be used for remapping should be from the category REGISTERED PORT NUMBERS i.e from 1024 to 49151, else if the ports are selected from DYNAMIC/ PRIVATE PORT NUMBERS, which are mostly used by TROJANS then there may be a chance that the FIREWALL at the client's end will block that port.

YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED..

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

If you have a 'real hacker' paying attention to your server, you'll only slow him down by a few minutes with your portmapping... there are tools that can scan a system and detect the signatures of services running on nonstandard ports and make some very accurate guesses as to which program and version is running there. You'd really only be stopping the script kiddies with their precompiled tools and automated programs (like worms) that only look for the standard port (for speed, ease of use, minimizing detection, etc).

Anyways, there's a program called Cpanel Proxy that sounds like it does what you are looking for... search for it.

3. Arkaos

Arkaos Member

4. sachin007

sachin007 Registered

thanx

Thanks a lot guyz. Both of you are very helpful..

5. projectandrew

projectandrew Well-Known Member