The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xaviac, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Xaviac

Xaviac Member

This is probably a noobish question, but i have searched the forums and cant not find an exact answer.

A client of mine (developing an MMOCC) is concerned about the security of using cpanel on his servers because of the risj of hackers knowing the ports for cpanel and whm. I have told him how to remove the /whm and /cpanel so only ports can be used, but is there any way to change the port which cpanel runs on?

If not is there a fix or an alternative to decrease the risk of hacking of cpanel, and ultimatly, the server?

Thanks again,
    Jonny

2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

you cant change the ports that cpanel listens on, however sensible passwords, well written scripts and reasonable security measures should keep your server secure, there any plenty of hosts running cpanel.

3. Xaviac

Xaviac Member

i read on this forum that there is away round not being able to change the ports. Also, what scripts could you recommend.

4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

by 'well written scripts' I mean, any php's/cgi's on the customers site, the only way to listen on a different port would be to use a port redirect from iptables, I dont know much about this myself but somebody mentioned it before.

5. richy

richy Well-Known Member

You could just firewall off the cPanel/WHM ports to only allow a set IP address/range.

6. Xaviac

Xaviac Member

which firewall would you personally recommend?

7. richy

richy Well-Known Member

I tend to use http://www.Configserver.com 's "ConfigServer Firewall" system (it's free and "Chirpy", it's developer, is a moderator on these forums - plus he also offers installation services, the very useful MailScanner system etc etc). I used to use APF from http://www.rfxnetworks.com/apf.php , but that doesn't integrate with cPanel/WHM.