The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible DNS issue ... 'Default Web Site Page' will randomly show

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bsamsn05, May 19, 2011.

1. bsamsn05

bsamsn05 Registered

DNS Setup-
    I use namecheap for my DNS. I currently have 2 'A' records pointing to the a static IP on my server. I can ping both mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com and I get the expected results.

Server Setup-
    Dedicated Server with 2 ips ... one shared and one dedicated which I have assigned to my domain.

Problem-
    All will seem to be resolving well with my site but randomly it will kick over to the 'Default Web Site Page' page. I log into WHM and restart BIND and Apache. Then clear the cache in my browser and run 'ipconfig /flushdns' at the command line in Windows. After that it will return back to normal. I do have an SSL cert installed which I thought may be causing the problem. So, I removed it and had it reissued then reinstalled. Still the problem pops up. I have tried and experienced this on 3 different computers (with firefox, IE, and Opera) in different locations and it eventually pops up on all of them. I am no DNS/Linux expert but if I can please get some assistance or pointed in the right direction I would appreciate it!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. bsamsn05

bsamsn05 Registered

Thanks for the help. I checked that site, and to my knowledge it looks fine. One question ... Again, I have the dns setup through namecheap.com. That said, should I map everything setup in namecheap in WHM 'Edit DNS Zone'? Could that cause the issue?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure I understand the question. If everything appears proper checking it at the link above, why change anything?

Any signs of issues in your logs when the site does this?

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Why do you use 2 'A' records if both IPs are on the same server? Are you sure you have VirtualHost entries of your domain on both the IPs?

It is possible that most of the time your domain resolves to the dedicated IP which is why you see the website and sometimes the domain resolves to the Shared IP, which is when you see a Default cPanel page because the VirtualHost entry of your domain doesn't exists with Shared IP?

6. bsamsn05

bsamsn05 Registered

Thanks for all the help so far!

Here's the underlining issue and temporary fix-
    When the 'Default Web Site Page' appears I clear the browser cache, then close it. I then run 'ipconfig /flushdns' at the command prompt and viola the issue is fixed ... for a time. Because it will appear again!

I have two 'A' records configured at namecheap like so ...
    Hostname: @
    IP Address: 64.x.x.x
    Record Type: A
    TTL: 60

Hostname: www
    IP Address: 64.x.x.x
    Record Type: A
    TTL: 60

They are both pointing to the static IP address of the server (the non-shared one.) Am I missing something?

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please open up a ticket about this issue when this is happening to where the default website page is showing and please do not fix it while we are investigating the issue. We only require root SSH and root WHM access to the machine. You can open up a ticket in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature.