The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Hard Drive Failure Soon ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isputra, Apr 15, 2009.

1. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

Hi,

After upgrade WHM to cPanel 11.24.4-S35075 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9 my OS also upgraded from Centos 5.2 to Centos 5.3

Since upgrade, i always received email about Possible Hard Drive Failure Soon :

------------------------------
    S.M.A.R.T Errors on /dev/sda
    From Command: /usr/sbin/smartctl -q errorsonly -H -l selftest -l error /dev/sda
    Please note the following marginal Attributes:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 058 044 045 Old_age Always In_the_past 42 (0 2 48 39)
    ----END /dev/sda--

S.M.A.R.T Errors on /dev/sdb
    From Command: /usr/sbin/smartctl -q errorsonly -H -l selftest -l error /dev/sdb
    Please note the following marginal Attributes:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 064 043 045 Old_age Always In_the_past 36
    ----END /dev/sdb--
    -------------------------------------

I don't have this problem before cpanel and OS upgrade. Is it smartcheck's bug or my HDD need to be replace ?

I have search on this forum and look like smatcheck bug but i don't know for sure. Please give me advise.

Regards.

2. eddiegeo

eddiegeo Registered

I started to get this message too, so I contacted my provider you stated . . .

Thank you for your email regarding SMART code 190. The issue here is due to a software bug in the way that the smart data is interpretted by smartctl and is nothing to be alarmed about. Further information follows:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Smart code 190 on Seagate disks:

example output:
    190 Unknown_Attribute 0×0022 040 040 045 Old_age Always FAILING_NOW

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...sis,_and_Reporting_Technology&oldid=109907538

For Western Digital drives, 190 is “Airflow Temperatureâ€, but for Seagate, it is “Temperature Difference from 100”, alllowing the manufacturer to set a minimum threshold which corresponds to a maximum temperature.

Fields 4,5, and 6 in the above line are: VALUE, WORST, and THRESH. Thus
    this server has a value of 40, which corresponds to 100-40=60 degrees
    Celsius.

Threshold from seagate is 100-45=55c, max is 100-40=60c.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

So, this is nothing to worry about and just a misinterpretation of the smart output.

3. isputra

If this is only a bug from smartcheck, is there any workaround how to fix this bug without turn off the smartcheck ?

On the other thread i read that we have to disable smartctl and using smartd because more configurable.

4. isputra

Hmmm,

It's look like there are no one has the same problem as i do here.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your assessment is correct. smartd is what should be used for realtime monitoring. smartctl is designed for on demand ( read: manual ) checking of drives and does not offer the flexibility of smartd. The smartcheck script uses smartctl. We are currently evaluating ways to improve smartcheck. For now you should use smartd and possibly disable smartcheck.

6. isputra

Hi cpanelkenneth,

I read on smartd manual but i don't have a clue how to use it.

Is it just run it from shell or i can put it in crontab ? And what command i have to use to be compatible with cpanel environtment ?

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are using CentOS ( or RHEL ) then smartd is already running.

The next step is to configure smartd using /etc/smartd.conf At this point you may want to consult people knowledgeable in smartd ( i.e. not me ). You'll also want to know who your hard drive manufacturer is, your hard drive version, revision and model numbers. This way you can configure smartd for the peculiarities of your drive.

smartd presents no compatibility issues with cPanel. It is fully contingent upon you to configure smartd properly as the settings will be somewhat unique to your drive(s).