The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible stupid PostgreSQL Questions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by purplepaws, Aug 14, 2003.

1. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

This morning when I logged on to one of the servers cPanel, I noticed the PostgreSQL databases option. I clicked to take a look and got some errors. I searched on here and found....

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?threadid=13474

So, I am presuming that the skin (x) has updated, but not the backend. In order to install PostgreSQL I am also presuming I follow the above instructions? I checked /var/lib/ and there is no /var/lib/pgsql directory, which is why I believe its not installed. We are running cPanel 7.4.0-S12, so I am again presuming I would need to either wait for the next stable release, or install an edge or release build?

Right, now thats out of the way....what exactly is PostgreSQL for? I mean, I know that its another database software, but is it meant as an eventual replacement for MySQL?? Or is it just the same as having mulitple webmail software - just giving the clients more options?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I just want to be clear before moving forward on this.

Cheers.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. hormigo

hormigo Well-Known Member

postgresql is other sql software, not remplace mysql
    last edge works fine and you can update and run /scripts/installpostgres

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: