The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to change the IP that DNS Cluster uses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jols, Apr 28, 2015.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

I am referring to the outbound IP address.

The WHM, DNS Cluster feature apparently uses the main server IP for connecting to the remote DNS (clustered) server.

I hope there is an easy modification we could make at shell, to set the outbound IP to one of the other IP addresses on the server; other than the main server IP.

Anyone?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks for this.

Of note however, the DNS clustering configuration files (api?) is located in this directory on the server:

/var/cpanel/cluster/root

So, I am wondering if we can, in effect, get the clustering to work on some other user, other than "root".

In other words, what if I created an account user with their own dedicated IP, let's say "altuser", then I simply changed the /root directory name, in the /cluster dir. like so:

/var/cpanel/cluster/altuser

... so that /altuser now contains the clustering configuration files.

Now, do you suppose the clustering will use the outbound IP address of /altuser instead of /root?

4. jols

jols Well-Known Member

To add to the above, I seem to have found a page that verifies that my "altuser" assumption may be correct:
    See:
    http://bestforadmin.blogspot.com/2013/12/whmcpanel-functionality-from-command.html

And note this comment, "Keep in mind that if you're a user other than root, you'd substitute 'root' in the path name for the actual user setting up the cluster."

So then, this would seem to suggest that the "actual user setting up the cluster" can be other than "root", if so, we just assign a dedicated IP to that new user, and bingo, the cluster is now being served by that new user's dedicated IP. Is this not correct?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is not correct. You are referring to the IP address assigned to the account. This is unrelated to the IP address used for outgoing connections from the server. You have to follow the instructions from my last response if you want to change that IP address.

Thank you.

6. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just in case others may be interested, I have been given an alternative method via a support rep, who has helped with this via the cpanel support ticket system.

It seems that there is a rather easy method of implementing a secondary route, just for the use with clustering. Though temporary (until the next reboot), this looks like it will work fine. And, there is no need to change the server's main IP address or even to restart networking, to get this going.

It has to do with the "route add -host" command at shell.

But in any case, thanks for your responses to this thread. I do appreciate all the help I can get, especially when it comes to low level networking stuff like this, which is never going to be my strong suite.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see you found a suitable solution. Feel free to update this thread with the full workaround.

Thank you.