The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to duplicate account on server to retrieve lost email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by smallweb, Jun 16, 2011.

1. smallweb

smallweb Registered

I recently transferred all of my client accounts from one box to another without too many hitches. I think my client is at fault, but since it happened about the same time as the transfer, I'm not sure. Somehow the email contents of his Inbox for one account showed up empty when he checked in a few days after the transfer.

I have a backup from the night prior to the transfer which should have the email he is seeking, but he has other email accounts that have received mail since the transfer, so a wholesale cPanel restore for that account is pretty much out of the question without overwriting his other email account contents.

I was wondering if it's possible to recreate his account status with the backup, but under a variation of his user name so he could log in under the alternate account and retrieve mail. If this is possible, how would I go about doing this?

BTW, I did unpack the backup (unzipped the main account and then the homedir file, where mail is located) thinking I could just FTP the contents of his inbox folder to the server. But, lo and behold, there are no folder contents for his inbox directory -- homedir>mail>clientdomain.com>emailaccount>cur). I know there must be mail somewhere for the account there because we also used the same backup file to transfer his account to the new server with mail intact on his other email accounts (which are also coming up empty). Just can't view the folder contents with Windows Explorer. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The delivered mail should be stored in:

Code:
    /home/username/mail/domain.com/email-account/cur
    If there is no data within this directory in the archived backup file, it will not be included when the account is restored. Is this data present in this location on the previous server? If so, I suggest attempting to backup the account again, or having our support team take a look to see why it's not getting included:

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

3. smallweb

smallweb Registered

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I was using winzip to extract homedir.tar and there were some errors in extracting the files in the /cur directory for that particular email account. Used WinRAR instead and was able to successfully extract the missing email. However, it should be noted that the mail was found in homedir/mail/(domain.com)/(username)/cur, which is a bit of variation on the file structure found via FTP compared to the extraction structure (for anyone else trying to do what I did).

One quirk was that uploading the missing mail via FTP redated all of the mail to the date and time of the upload instead of the original dates and times of the emails, which were intact in the extraction. However, upon viewing each individual email via Outlook IMAP, the date is stamped within the email itself.