The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to extract a cpanel backup?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by TSxx, Mar 13, 2005.

1. TSxx

TSxx Registered

I did a few searches and browsed around but wasn't able to find exactly what I'm looking for. My previous web host who used cpanel decided not to pay their bills, so all of their accounts and servers were pulled, leaving myself (as well as hundreds of other users) without hosting. Their servers were wiped and all data formatted.

I have a backup of my site on my comp from before it went down, but my new host doesn't support cpanel, only plesk. I'm looking to find a way to extract my cpanel backup (2.5gb .tar.gz zip) to be able to get the data out so I can put it up on my new server. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. bullethost696

bullethost696 Well-Known Member

You should be able to extract .tar.gz with a decompressor such as winrar, your sites should be located in /home/username when decompressed

3. TSxx

TSxx Registered

I gave winrar a shot at extracting it before, and just again now, it still gives a set of errors and won't extract:

! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: The archive is corrupt
    ! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: Cannot open vi (vi --> bin\rvi)
    ! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: Cannot open vi (vi --> bin\rview)
    ! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: Cannot open bash (bash --> bin\sh)
    ! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: Cannot open vi (vi --> bin\view)
    ! D:\webpages\ILink backs\en3.oktagone.com_imagelink.org_site_2005_January_31_06_13.tar.gz: Cannot open hostname (hostname --> bin\ypdomainname)

So nothing useful comes out of the file. I've been able to upload backups via the cpanel restore script while still getting the same errors extracting. I have no idea what these errors mean, or if there's a way to get around them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    if u can get that file to a linux box; use

tar -zxf 2.5gb .tar.gz zip

5. dr2web

dr2web Active Member

using winrar you might try to just open the folder that you want by navigating throu winrar until you get to the specified one, and then you can extract only that directory.

If that does not work you may have a cheksum error... Since the old host has no files to compare the md5 to... you may be out of luck.

Maybe you sohould find a cpanel host and try restoring it that way.