The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to integrated dnsonly with several cpanel server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kinsky, Dec 24, 2007.

1. kinsky

kinsky Well-Known Member

Hello

Is possible to integrated cPanel dnsonly as primary name server for several cPanel server ? and is dnsonly support for private name server for existing reseller ?

Regards

#1 kinsky, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. Vinayak

Vinayak Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would also like to know the answer, as what I am planning is to use 2 or more VPS in different locations for DNS only, serving as DNS servers for several servers.

Like this

VPS1, VPS2 ... DNS Only as NS1, NS2...

Server1, Server2... Direct cPanel Clients having ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com... on VPS1, VPS2...

ResellerServer1, ResellerServer2... resellers having ns1.reseller1domain.com, ns2.reseller1domain.com..., ns1.reseller2domain.com, ns1.reseller2domain.com... on VPS1, VPS2...

If this is possible then few more questions.

Should we close DNS on Server1, Server2... & ResellerServer1, ResellerServer2... and use VPS1, VPS2... for DNS & resolvers.

Some insight on how to achieve this by fellow members will be appreciated.

A good documentation by cPanel team on DNSonly to achieve this will be very useful for all and is much desired.

3. Vinayak

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DnsOnly Installed & Configured Properly

Ok, finally I plunged into installing and configuration of DnsOnly, and got success, every thing is working properly as desired.

So what I have now is, 2 light weight VPS running as DnsOnly, I named them

dnsone.myservername.com
    dnstwo.myservername.com

and created
    ns1.myfirstbrand.com
    ns2.myfirstbrand.com
    ns3.myfirstbrand.com
    ns4.myfirstbrand.com

ns1.mysecondbrand.com
    ns2.mysecondbrand.com
    ns3.mysecondbrand.com
    ns4.mysecondbrand.com

ns1.mythirdbrand.com
    ns2.mythirdbrand.com
    ns3.mythirdbrand.com
    ns4.mythirdbrand.com

and so on, with the domain registrar & on the WHM servers.

ns1 & ns2 on all brand being the two IPs of respective server & ns3 & ns4 being IPs of dnsone & dnstwo.

Then on all servers running full WHM/cPanel and dnsonly I enabled cluster and established trust relation between full & dnsonly. Though I am using one way synch as any changes in full WHM/cPanel will be reflected to both dnsonly but not the reverse, as changes will be made on the full WHM/cPanel servers only.

So now I have 5 full WHM/cPanel servers configured with 2 dnsonly VPS. With all zone files being present on their respective servers & dnsonly servers. My resellers have also created 4 nameservers accordingly and getting the benefit of DNS cluster.

And yes all domain hosted on our servers are also updated with 4 name servers.

One thing missing in this setup is, on dns only servers there is no Service Status Monitoring & Notification facility. So if bind fails on dns only server we don't get notified.

Any one found solution for this? I think there are some small & simple scripts that can do it.

So searching for them.

4. oderland

oderland Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

use hobbit or bb4 for monitoring servers. That much better then cpanel's own monitoring.

5. Vinayak

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well for the time being we have wrote our own little script that runs as a daemon and keep an eye on named, if it is down the script shoots a mail to us and also restart the service, once named is up it again sends th mail about service being running. Normally the service get started within 6 seconds using this script.