Possible to use Hostname as MX Server?

yagami_kira

Mar 7, 2017
Tokyo
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a VPS server using WHM/cPanel.

It has a registered hostname with free cpanel-signed hostname. But I don't use AutoSSL, nor do I have SSL certificates.

In my Cloudflare DNS records (I'm not using cloudflare cdn features, only DNS), I have the MX record set to mail.mydomain.com. If I check the TLS through checktls.com, there's a warning there that says:

"Cert Hostname DOES NOT VERIFY (mail.mydomain.com != hostname.mydomain.com)"

I'm worried that this error may cause my emails to recipients (whether they use Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.) to go their Spam/Junk folder.

Therefore, may I ask if it is possible to change the MX record to the hostname ? Therefore, my MX record server will become hostname.mydomain.com instead of mail.mydomain.com. Or will doing this cause mailing problems?

SysSachin

Aug 23, 2015
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
MX record server will become hostname.mydomain.com instead of mail.mydomain.com. Or will doing this cause mailing problems?
Hi,
There is no issue to use hostname as MX record instead of mail.mydomain.com.
You have to check server hostname using folowing command and use it.
Code:
hostname

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks. Will changing the MX record to hostname cause any downtime since I believe this needs to be propagated for 3 days ?
Hello,

Downtime should be minimal because the old record should still work until the DNS propagates to the new record.

Thank you.