The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PostgreSQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oldlesmann, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Oldlesmann

Oldlesmann Guest

Are there any plans to update the version of PostgreSQL that ships with cPanel? There have been numerous improvements to PostgreSQL in the 8.x releases, but most hosts stick with 7.4.17 because there's no way to go back to 7.4.17 if something goes wrong during the upgrade.

I think it would be best for cPanel to support the 8.2.x release.

2. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

i already run postgres support. there is some tutorial over here somewhere, i forgot which thread, but i guess the search function will do just fine :)

3. Oldlesmann

Oldlesmann Guest

I know that PostgreSQL is supported by cPanel. I'm just asking if they ever plan to start supporting PostgreSQL 8.2 instead of 7.4.

PostgreSQL 8.2 improves performance and has numerous additional features that aren't available in earlier releases. The 8.2 Release Notes should be enough reason to support the newer version.

4. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

there is a tutorial on the forum on how to install postgres8 from RPMS and it works. use the search please.

5. Oldlesmann

Oldlesmann Guest

Let me explain my reason for posting this... I am not asking how to make cPanel work with PostgreSQL 8...

I am a project manager for a popular forum system (SMF). We will be adding support for PostgreSQL in our next major release (2.0, which isn't even in beta yet). Somewhere along the line, one of the developers decided that we shouldn't support anything older than 8.x (which is understandable due to the age of 8.0.x and the fact that there have been two major releases since then). However, since cPanel currently ships with 7.4.x, I've been doing some testing to see if we can support 7.4.x as well - due to the popularity of cPanel, it wouldn't make sense to not support it unless there are some major issues...

So far the only drawback I can see is that 7.4.x doesn't support changing the datatype for columns using ALTER TABLE, which isn't a major issue since we can always work around this if we need this functionality.

However, I have not really had a chance to fully investigate the differences between 7.4.x and 8.0.x, and I would like to know if we should continue focusing on being able to support 7.4.x or if it's safe to assume that we can support 8.0.x without having to tell users to ask their hosts to upgrade.

6. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

well, from my point of view, as far as i know there are not many people who managed to make the cpanel default install of postgres work, so, mostly have followed the tutorial posted somewhere on the forum, to get 8.* . Yet this is relative, but, i suppose that you could just work it out with postgres 8, and if requests are done, ... Anyway you will never be right for everyone :) i still saw messages from users that ran redhat 7.3 , now in 2007, and wondered why cpanel will not work and stuff :)

7. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

The version of PostgreSQL you run is dependent on what is supplied by your OS - it is not supplied by cPanel.

Example, Fedora 6 is coming with 8.1.9 right now, so I am running 8.1.9...

You'll need to either upgrade your OS to a newer version if you want newer PostegreSQL support.

I'll can upgrade any CentOS or Fedora or Redhat release to a newer version if anyone needs it.

#7 cooldude7273, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  8. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

9. Oldlesmann

Oldlesmann Guest