Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

PowerDNS also-notify syntax error when reading from named.conf

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by _jman, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. _jman

_jman Active Member

Am not sure this is a WHM issue or a PDNS issue. PDNS will not start if there is an also-notify section in named.conf

Have been running BIND for quite a while, with hostname A records in my zone pointing to the main IP and my registrar pointing to those hostnames. Everything working OK.

Decided to enable DNSSEC, which also went OK, except that I could no longer ping certain hostnames (such as my nameservers).

We do not like seeing "Unknown host" when pinging nameservers! ;)

Turns out it was because I was also using my host (linode) for reverse DNS, and they were the master. They also at this time do not support DNSSEC, and suggested I instead use their dns as a slave so I could be the authoritative server.

In setting that up, per their own documentation, I edited named.conf, updating the allow-transfer section to point to their nameservers, and adding a also-notify section pointing to certain IP's of theirs which handle AXFR requests.

Since running
    named-checkconf /etc/named.conf
    produced no output, I assumed the edited named.conf was OK, and restarted DNS via WHM.

This failed. Shelling into look at the logs, I seemed to have a syntax error in named.conf. The line number for the syntax error was where also-notify begins.

PowerDNS docs themselves say they use a comma-seperated format (as opposed to Bind's method of one-line-per entry with a semi-colon), so commented that section out from named.conf, then uncommented the also-notify section of /etc/pdns/pdns.conf, adding the comma-seperated list of IP's.

PowerDNS now starts as expected.

So, is this a bug in how PowerDNS is interpreting the settings in named.conf (PDNS docs say they don't support everything from Bind, but do support also-notify), or something going on with WHM? Just curious.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @_jman,

Can you let us know the exact entries that you added (replacing real domain names and IP addresses with examples) so we can attempt to replicate this on a test environment?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...