Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDNS host files

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sonicsam, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sonicsam

sonicsam Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just looking at powerDNS after installing a new cpanel server and getting notified about it.

Does powerDNS use the same config files as BIND in the same place and format? I know it can use mysql but I don't see a database in mysql for it so assume it is using text files.

Reason is that I have two non-cpanel servers (windows/bind) with a custom script to make them slave servers for zones on my cpanel servers and I need to make sure I update (don't break) the script so it will work with powerDNS.

thanks

Sam

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPanel's PowerDNS implementation reads DNS data from the BIND files and stores DNSSEC data in a SQLite database. Thus, DNS zone data is still stored in /var/named/$domain.com.db, however DNSSEC data is stored in a SQLite database.

You may also find the following document helpful:

How to Use cPanel's PowerDNS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.