brianc

May 16, 2003
Hi All:

I am getting the following error message when I try to convert a SSH private key to PPK format via cpanel:

puttygen: unable to load file `/home/username/.ssh/': not a private key

I have confirmed that both the public and private keys are there and the permissions are correct. However it seems like the cpanel view/download private key function is buggy. This process/conversion works fine via WHM but not in cpanel. Also this utility sees the public key just fine, but not the private key.

Can someone else confirm this problem? I want to get rid of using password authentication for ssh logs and move to using keys for SSH logins but I can't until this issue is resolved.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's an option, but my point is that if the option is there in the control panel, then it should work. If it doesn't work or doesn't work consistently, then it should be removed. I don't have any problem giving users instructions on how to do this with the Windows based puttygen program, but if the option is there, we are undoubtedly going to be asked why the feature does not work.

blkjck

Sep 17, 2003
Just a quick fix solution was all I meant... Yeah I have a problem also with puttygen. Just showed up with the clean install. I was able to restore my keys from backup so not a big deal. First it was not installed when I tried to convert it. Said to run a script in cpanel folder to install it. That didn't install but older version anyway. Had to install a newer build of putty-0.60

blkjck

Sep 17, 2003
I manually did an update last night after notified a new version available, yeah I noticed the change log was not posted either. After the update, I can convert keys from CPanel now. Before, the entry was blank when CPanel tried to access private keys. Now all is good and they convert to putty format.

brianc

May 16, 2003
I manually did an update last night after notified a new version available, yeah I noticed the change log was not posted either. After the update, I can convert keys from CPanel now. Before, the entry was blank when CPanel tried to access private keys. Now all is good and they convert to putty format.
Can anyone else confirm this? I just did a force upgrade and the bug is still there. I running current 19834.

blkjck

Sep 17, 2003
It was present in that build also, C19834. That was my previous build number. Check your Upgrade to Latest Version again. If it is not coming up, check back later today. 11.17.5-CURRENT_20417 is what mine reports.

brianc

May 16, 2003
It was present in that build also, C19834. That was my previous build number. Check your Upgrade to Latest Version again. If it is not coming up, check back later today. 11.17.5-CURRENT_20417 is what mine reports.
Will do. Thanks.