Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Pre-sale question(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moosepucky, Feb 5, 2010.

1. moosepucky

moosepucky Registered

I have been a windows host for the past 10 years. I will be adding my first Linux server (Red Hat 4 ES enterprise / apache) and I have some basic questions before I start he OS install and select cPanel for this box.

1) basic Linux questions:

Red Hat appears to have a nice install routine (anaconda) which gives selectable options. One of which is firewall. Should this be disable on a Linux http server or should http be selected after enabling firewall?

How much (or little) should I install of Red Hat. I assume that cPanel will be used to do most of the configuration so is it necessary to install a GUI on the server (i.e. how basic an OS install is "typical" for an hhtp web server)? The server is 1 node of a supermicro 6015TW and it has IPMI / KVM over LAN so will I need the Red Hat GUI to remotely interface with the server?

2) multi server question:

I have dedicated mail and database servers running under windows server (smartermail enterprise, MySQL 4 & 5, and MS Sql server). Can cPanel interface with the content of these servers (mail and DB) even though their OS is windows? My windows control panel requires that I have a "slave" install on each of these separate servers to control them. Is this necessary with cPanel (and if so.... they are windows not Linux)?