The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Sales Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamiedolan, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jamiedolan

jamiedolan Member

HI;

Is there a charge for the DNS only program?

Is the DNS only program the only thing that can be run on that server?

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No license is required for cPanel DNS-only, and there is no fee. cPanel DNS-only is intended to be used to host nameservers and be controlled by a "full" licensed cPanel server. The options available in cPanel DNS-only are very limited. For example, no ability to edit DNS zones is included in the product. It is solely intended to host nameservers and be included in a cluster with one or more "full" licensed cPanel servers.

You can run other services on a cPanel DNS-only server, but you will not be able to manage them from the WebHost Manager, and you will need to configure the services manually, by editing configuration files from the shell.

3. jamiedolan

jamiedolan Member

Thanks for your quick response. I was considering running a DNS server along with WHMCS on a different server on a different network than that of my primary server. That way WHMC and 1 DNS server would stay up and available even if my primary server was down for some reason.

Can Cpanel be setup so that multiple end users can share / use the ISP's domain, but each have access to their own account to add / modify e-mail addresses?

For example, I would want a number of different clients to each have their own CP account and have the ability to add / edit their own email address as necessary, but on my domain. I would want them to be able to add / edit e-mails that are @my-isps-domain.com, while for web hosting they would likely be using enduser.my-usps-domain.com.

Is that possible to setup? I've only see cpanel setup where the end user has their own domain.

Thanks
    Jamie

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Jamie,

You can give the users subdomains off your domain to use for email accounts. Each user, if you are going to provide them with an account, would need their own domain, but a subdomain can be used as the main domain for an account. This means you could have enduser.mydomain.com for each user and that would be both the email address and the web hosting address for the account.

Thanks.