The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

precpbackup unable to stop cpbackup from running

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by santrix, Apr 13, 2013.

1. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

We've been using an NFS share for cpbackups for a while, but sometimes we find that servers end up with multiple mounts of the same share being created. I can only assume this has something to do with the WHM » Backup »
    Configure Backup » Remount/Unmount Backup Drive activity - possibly finding a dead NFS connection and then trying to create another.

The NFS share is mounted at boot, and is checked by us periodically anyway. So, anyway, I would prefer to just check the /backup mount point ourselves, and if anything looks wrong, just kill the cpbackup process. This script was a quick attempt, but it won't kill the cpbackup process when I test it. I've checked that CPPID does indeed get the correct pid of cpbackup, but it just fails to stop the backup from running. I thought a child process could kill a parent, but maybe I'm wrong. Any ideas?

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Check for a single /backup mount - if it does not exist, kill the backup
    # if more than one exists, kill the backup

MOUNTQTY="$(/bin/mount | grep 'on /backup' | wc -l)"

if [ ${MOUNTQTY} -ne 1 ]; then

# Kill the backup job
    	CPPID="$(/sbin/pidof cpbackup)"
    	kill $CPPID

echo -e "/backup was not mounted correctly or at all. Mount output: \n\n`/bin/mount`" | /bin/mail -s "cpbackup process ${CPPID} killed on `/bin/hostname`" steve@mydomain.co.uk

fi

2. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

OK, I worked it out... Just needed to start my precpbackup script in the background so it was no longer a child of cpbackup.

precpbackup contains simpy:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /scripts/the-real-precpbackup.sh &

The trailing & starts the process as a child of init, so real-precpbackup.sh no longer runs as a child of cpbackup.