The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Presence of /var and other partitions in Service Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yosofun, Jun 22, 2010.

1. yosofun

yosofun Member

I'm migrating from different dedicated providers. My old provider WHM Service Status showed the /var partition specifically, but my new provider's WHM shows only /var/tmp...

In fact, these are the only partitions showing up in Service Status:

Disk /usr/tmpDSK (/tmp) 3 %
    Disk /dev/sda1 (/boot) 36 %
    Disk /dev/sda3 (/) 3 %
    Disk /dev/loop0 (/var/tmp) 2 %

The /var partition on my old server was at 92%, as we have a lot of MySQL data... The new server seems to only have the /var/tmp listed...

All I've done so far on my new server is setup a test db/user on a test account, with basically no data. (I was hoping /var might appear...)

The specs for both servers are 2 gb ram/intel xeon quad 3440 proc/250 gb hdd. Both are WHM/cPanel dedicated servers, but are hosted by different providers

Should I be worried about these partitions - do I need to repartition before migrating data?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /var is not on its own partition

It appears that on your server, you do not have a separate partition mounted as /var. You can confirm this using the following commands:

Code:
    # fdisk -l
    # mount
    This is why it is not listed in Service Status. You do have a /var/tmp partition, which is really a special file mounted as /var/tmp. cPanel sets this up during installation. If you want a separate /var partition, to keep your databases separate, for example, you will need to repartition the hard drive.

However, what you have will work, and will actually prevent the need to repartition the drive if the databases fill up the /var partition in the future, so it is your choice as to which configuration you would like to have.

3. yosofun

yosofun Member

Would there be any difficulties or complications migrating data from the old server to the new, due to these partition differences?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No difference

There would not be any difference at all. It is purely a function of which directories you want to place on which partitions/drives. There are reasons to put different directories on different partitions, and there are reasons to put everything on one partition. It is purely your choice, depending on your needs and desires.