The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pretty simple mail problem... i think

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aboleth, Sep 12, 2005.

1. aboleth

aboleth Well-Known Member

Ok, i'm the administrator of Cpanel at my company. I've just started with it and it's going pretty well, just have some questions about mail. I've created an account to test things out before istart selling web packages, and the web mail seems to be a bit confusing. I can hit the "webmail" link and log into the mail via the accounts administrator login. Mail even sends and recieves properly via horde, neo, or squirrel with no problems. I do not know how to get to any of these webmails any other way than from my sites administration panel. I've tried to go to http://mydomain.com/3rdparty/squirrelmail/index.php or the links for horde/neo as seen in IE. I don't want to log into this via a http://mydomain.com:2082/ login. So basically, im looking to link to a webmail page that has a username and login that my normal mail users can get into. Any info on this would be much appreciated :) . Also, I want to use one of our smtp servers as the outgoing server, and not cpanel's server. Anyone know how to set this up? Again, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance for any replies.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

As far as webmail goes, this can be accessed separately from cPanel by visiting one of the following addresses:

http://hostname.example.com/webmail
    https://hostname.example.com:2096/

The former requires "Always redirect users to the ssl/tls ports when visiting /cpanel, /webmail, etc." checked in WHM > Tweak Settings > System, the latter being where the former redirects to. There is also a non-https option, however I don't recall the port it uses.

3. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

4. aboleth

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Now to figure out how to set up pop mail... when i go into the auto-configuration (where it sends you a .reg file) the mail servers pop in as mail.domain.com for both smtp and pop3. I dont believe this to be correct, and in fact I have another SMTP server i want to use... I dont even know what the connection info has to be by default. It seems i can move mail by putting in the ip adress of the cpanel server, but it wont auth my username. I can move the mail if i auth with smtp as my admin user for the site, but that wont work for my users. Again, thanks for the replies, it helped alot. Hopefully someone knows a bit about this other stuff as well? Sorry for the newb questions btw, i'm a mail retard, but getting better :P

5. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Did you install cPanel on the server? Or was it installed by a datacenter? Basically, if the install is complete, both POP and SMTP should be ready to go. Typically for a WHM/cPanel install the POP and SMTP server will be mail.domain.tld and the zones A records already be created that will point to the cPanel servers IP.

If you really want to use the cPanel server for POP and another server for SMTP, then each user account will need to be created on the second server or you'll need to enable an IP address(es) for relaying. There are some situations when using a separate SMTP or even POP servers may be beneficial, but if your planning on selling hosting I doubt it would. Generally hosts use the WHM/cPanel server to provide DNS, SMTP, POP, HTTP etc. for accounts located on that server and it's designed to accomplish these tasks. Attempting other configurations is going to require alot of extra work.

What is it that you are trying to gain by using a separate SMTP server?

6. aboleth

One of the people i work with installed it, I probably should of but I've just been too busy i suppose. Are there any settings you can think of related to POP3 and SMTP and authentication that should be looked into? I work for a fairly large ISP that bought another company who did webhosting. So our goal with CPanel is to provide an easier to use interface, and migrate users away from windows based hosting if they so choose. (we have far mor resources in the linux environment, and prefer it) Not to mention our linux servers are more powerful hardware-wise than the old hosting system. I just talked to my boss on ICQ and we decided to use Cpanel's SMTP server afterall. Probably easier for our end-users. Basically, what i'd like to see happen is have that auto-config (via the downloaded reg key) work for me. As i said, it puts in mail.domain.com as the smtp and pop3 servers. I can move mail via the webmail, but the provided pop settings dont seem to work for me. I'm sure i could just use the cpanel servername but if there are any options yall may know of, feel free to let me know :) Thanks again for all your help.

7. aboleth

Hrm, ok i figured out how to move mail... log in with full realm.. doh. Anyhow, i just used domain.com for the smtp and domain.com for pop and that worked fine provided i used the full realm in the username. I think i may actually want to use mail.domain.com instead however, and that doesnt seem to work by default... am i forgetting something?

8. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

It's possible that the A record and MX record for the WHM/cPanel server domain are not set to mail.domain.tld, check the DNS records.

If your working for an ISP, then using another SMTP server shouldn't be a problem. You could authenticate by IP since you control the IP's and authenticate the user in some manner. It would present a problem for those travelling and using another ISP for mail access with a laptop or those who use a PDA.

How many servers will you be using?

9. aboleth

Got the mail to work as i want it to. Thanks. Right now we have just the one server for CPanel, web hosting isnt a big part of our business quite yet. I was looking today and i think we have about 400 websites hosted, and i'd like to fit perhaps 400 or so on this server. It's a pretty nice machine, dual Xeon 2.8's, 4GB of ram, and 400GB of space (currently). Probably add some more drivespace if needed later on. I'm unsure how many of our customers will be willing to migrate from their current windows based hosting environment. For most of them it's just a hassle, so I'm thinking this will be primarily for new customers. I do hope it works out well for us, because i'd love to be in need of another server, and i'm sure the guy who signs my paycheck would think fondly of having another 400 clients. I'm unsure exactly what any one server can host with my kind of hardware but i'm guessing 400 - 600? If im off let me know, but thats a rough guess on my part. Anyhow, thanks again, these forums have been quite helpful.

10. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

There's only one way to know, and that is to monitor the load. I'm pretty sure that unless you have 400 real processor hogs, you'll have some to spare.