Prevent UDP flood DOS (outgoing!)

dragon2611

Nov 30, 2003
What would be considered the normal Packet Per Second rate for traffic originating from a cpanel server to a specific single destination IP (end user)

Recently had a script uploaded via a CMS exploit that was DOS'ing people with a UDP flood.

I've since removed the script and also disabled the offending CMS so that the user can upload a clean copy and also ensure it's patched. but I'd like to try and take some measures to prevent such a thing occurring the future

I'd also like to take some additional measures that minimise the impact should anyone else manage to do something similar, one of the things I was thinking of doing was limiting the UDP packetflow per destination

I was thinking anything over X PPS gets dropped at the firewall before it even egresses my network but i'm not entirely sure what a resonable number for X should be.

ne0shell

Oct 9, 2003
You can try to limit the outbound flow rate of UDP packets:

/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m limit --limit 100/s -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -j DROP

(setting limits outbound UDP to 100 packets per second. This setting can interfere with applications which use UDP outbound traffic (if any))

1000 per second would be a fairly high setting - more than enough for legit use, 100 is probably fine too. You can always adjust it if needed.

dragon2611

Nov 30, 2003
You can try to limit the outbound flow rate of UDP packets:

/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m limit --limit 100/s -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -j DROP

(setting limits outbound UDP to 100 packets per second. This setting can interfere with applications which use UDP outbound traffic (if any))

1000 per second would be a fairly high setting - more than enough for legit use, 100 is probably fine too. You can always adjust it if needed.
Currently testing 100Packets per second per destination with a temporary burst of 500PPS allowed.

Although I do have the capability to firewall on the Cpanel box I actually do the majority of the filtering prior to egress from my (albeit virtual) network.

Hoping to get a 2nd physical box shortly in which case i'll probably actually buy a proper router but for a single server with relatively low traffic a Vitalized router works fine.

Using a vitalized instance of RouterOS which handles my routed subnet and also does the filtering between the physical NIC and the VM's running on the server

dragon2611

Nov 30, 2003
I recommend the csf firewall and cXs exploit scanner from configserver.com.
I have the firewall, as I tend to use the LFD component from it, although I prefer to set the bulk of my firewall rules on routerOS firewall as It's easier to manage.

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007
i have updated outbound traffic limit to 50 but still getting flood attack

how to find this

an apache script exploit, most commonly log.php, which is actually a
remote udp flood script.