The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventing forwarders being created to gmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ishware, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've done some searching, and I've found some decade-old threads that say the hooks no longer work.......... and there's apparently a related new feature: SpamAssassin Scan Email Forwarders

But nothing I've found so far does what I want: I want to prevent anyone from creating a forwarder that goes to certain domains. Gmail for now (gmail.com and googlemail.com I know for sure); maybe aol.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com would be good ideas, too...

What started this quest: I received notifications that my forwards to gmail are creating backscatter spam to a third party. As I have a zero tolerance for spam, I want to close this loophole. I don't, to be honest, quite understand how it works - I think it's gmail getting the message and instead of just refusing it, I think they're sending a notification to the third party.... meh. But either way, from what I've been told, the way to stop this is to disallow forwarders to gmail.

Meanwhile, I did find a thread that said that if you create a forwader AND a mailbox and enable SpamAssassin, then it'll scan for spam and hopefully lessen the flow - but I want the flow stopped, not lessened. AND in that case you have to clean out the useless mailboxes periodically, so..... it's a terrible solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's no native feature that will block the actual creation of the forwarder in the cPanel interface, as discussed here:

block forwarding

You can open a new feature request for this functionality if you are not comfortable developing a custom script to implement this behavior.

Thank you.