Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Preventing the server from compromise

Discussion in 'Security' started by spacereaper82, Oct 1, 2018.

1. spacereaper82

spacereaper82 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi there,

I want to protect my server from hackers' attacks and block access to data not intended for third parties. Now, I'm wondering whether VPN services can help me with this issue?

I want to set up the server so that third parties can't access these data until they are connected to some VPN clients. Which services will fit my purposes best? [removed link to third-party website]

Is that even possible?
    Thanks in advance.

#1 spacereaper82, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Anupam SG

Anupam SG Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What you have mentioned, is a pretty broad requirement depending on what exactly is server being used for?

Just for storing files? Yeah sure.
    A website facing the internet? Not so much.

How will you distinguish that a visitor IP is coming from a VPN? With the ever-growing number of VPNs each day it is impossible.
    What you can do is prevent snooping on when visitor comes on your site by implementing HSTS. Try implementing HTTPS for a start.

You maybe able to limit the access of the server to certain IP addresses, if you have visitors which are coming from certain IPs only. Try installing ConfigServer Firewall(CSF/LFD) an have a look around in the settings. You can block IPs, ports, countries etc. etc. Be sure to add your IP in the whitelist before you change anything in it.

The thing is if you have a cloud server, it will be scanned for vulnerabilities. I manage a few virtual servers, and a few of them get scanned and brute-forced just because they exist. It is the nature of cloud servers, they are all facing the internet, and hence prone to attack. If you want to make it really secure, get a physical server, so you can pull the hard line if it comes to worst.

#2 Anupam SG, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    cPanelLauren and rpvw like this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @spacereaper82

As suggested by @Anupam SG this is a broad subject, and for the most detailed advice you may want to enlist the assistance of a qualified system administrator. If you don't have one you might find one here: System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

For some general advice the following may be helpful:
    Tips to Make Your Server More Secure - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
    Recommended Security Settings Checklist - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Infopro likes this.
  4. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anupam has some good advice.
    The very least you should do is install CSF firewall, and then maybe consider ModSecurity.

cPanelLauren likes this.