Preventing the server from compromise

spacereaper82

Registered
Sep 26, 2018
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi there,

I want to protect my server from hackers' attacks and block access to data not intended for third parties. Now, I'm wondering whether VPN services can help me with this issue?

I want to set up the server so that third parties can't access these data until they are connected to some VPN clients. Which services will fit my purposes best? [removed link to third-party website]

Is that even possible?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anupam SG

Aug 29, 2018
Earth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What you have mentioned, is a pretty broad requirement depending on what exactly is server being used for?

Just for storing files? Yeah sure.
A website facing the internet? Not so much.

How will you distinguish that a visitor IP is coming from a VPN? With the ever-growing number of VPNs each day it is impossible.
What you can do is prevent snooping on when visitor comes on your site by implementing HSTS. Try implementing HTTPS for a start.

You maybe able to limit the access of the server to certain IP addresses, if you have visitors which are coming from certain IPs only. Try installing ConfigServer Firewall(CSF/LFD) an have a look around in the settings. You can block IPs, ports, countries etc. etc. Be sure to add your IP in the whitelist before you change anything in it.

The thing is if you have a cloud server, it will be scanned for vulnerabilities. I manage a few virtual servers, and a few of them get scanned and brute-forced just because they exist. It is the nature of cloud servers, they are all facing the internet, and hence prone to attack. If you want to make it really secure, get a physical server, so you can pull the hard line if it comes to worst.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @spacereaper82

As suggested by @Anupam SG this is a broad subject, and for the most detailed advice you may want to enlist the assistance of a qualified system administrator. If you don't have one you might find one here: System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

For some general advice the following may be helpful:
Tips to Make Your Server More Secure - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
Recommended Security Settings Checklist - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

Reactions: Infopro