The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventing webstats compiling from ruining server response time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by platypus, Apr 3, 2006.

1. platypus

platypus Member

I develop and run a multiplayer poker game that runs on a server with WHM/cPanel on it. When the server does webstats compiling (analog, urchin, etc) it creates such a drain on system resources (especially because of disk swapping I'd assume) that it can make my poker game very unresponsive while it is going on. Latency for the players becomes very high, and this is totally unacceptable. I need a way to alter the stats compiling so it is much kinder on system resources and doesn't ruin my game. Thanks for any suggestions! :eek:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can either reschedule when the stats run using WHM > Statistics Software Configuration so that they only run out of hours for your server. You could also disable any of the stats (analog/wealizer/awstats) that you don't use within that same area. Another way to help speed up stats processing is to have WHM > Tweak Settings > Delete each domain's access logs after stats run, enabled so that the stats apps don't have to wade through old log lines until they get to the ones they need to process.

3. platypus

platypus Member

Well, players come from all over the world, and therefore, all hours of the day. So, there's no downtime. Are you saying the only effective way to improve this is to NOT run them? I would hope there'd be better control over CPU and disk priority levels in Linux. :(

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, yes, since log processing is usually the second most resource intensive process after backups on most servers.

I've given one option above regarding deleting logs after processing. The only other one after scheduling is to make sure that WHM > Tweak Settings > The load average above the number of cpus at which logs file processing should be suspended > and make sure that is set to 0 so that log file processing is suspended if the load average is high.