The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

preview is blank on web template editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metro2, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see that there is a case in locked thread from a year ago - [Case 87213] preview is blank on web template editor

Is this something cPanel still plans on fixing?

I thought maybe it was only older servers still affected, but same happens with brand new server WHM 11.52.x

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The updated case number is FB-152285. There's currently no time frame available on a resolution, but I've added a comment to note this thread and report that it's still reproducible on cPanel version 54.

Thank you.

Metro2 likes this.
  3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many thanks for the reply!

4. aUserName

aUserName Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Web Template Editor Preview page error is still a problem on 11.58.x of WHM. I can confirm.
    Put simply, when you view the editor and preview pages via HTTPS the preview page loads the HTTP link to the file you are editing, which goes against modern browser policies on Mixed Content loading, thus the "insecure" URL in the iframe is prevented from loading and the user at the HTTPS-served preview page sees nothing at all.

As a temporary workaround, I have used a page inspector or firebug to edit the iframe tag on the page and change its URL to the HTTPS version.

Pardon my saying so, but the issue seems like it would be relatively easy for cPanel's devs to fix and slip into any upcoming version. Wouldn't it be a matter of detecting the current protocol used to view the preview page and then ensuring the iframe URL is using the protocol that was detected? Surely there is already a method that would accomplish this checking?
    I have thought briefly of editing the page template and including a javascript snippet that would do this but thought better of it since auto-updates would wipe out any changes I would make.

I hope this information helps anyone else wondering about it.

Metro2 likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The case is still open at this time, and the updated case number is CPANEL-4880. I'll update this thread with updates to this case as they become available.

Thank you.