The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

primary domain confusion ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by headjog, Feb 11, 2013.

1. headjog

headjog Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    excuse my ignorance because im new to this.. i have just bought a reseller hosting package via fido.net, their shopping cart asked me to add my domain in the process of purchasing, without thinking i just figured it meant my trading domain (mydomain.com) im a web developer by trade.

so now when im logged into cpanel and i try to add my domain (mydomain.com) and attach a hosting account to it so that i can upload a website i get the following error

"Sorry, a DNS entry for mydomain.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the DNS cluster)."

Yet if i look in the DNS cluster menu the domain isnt listed. ??

ive established though a bit of head scratching that this type of reseller account needs a primary domain to function does that mean that this same primary domain cannot be used as a normal working domain where a website can be uploaded and email accounts can be attached?

Can the primary domain be changed without resetting the whole thing? Im a bit worried because i have already created about 20 user accounts with websites, databases and email accounts attached there would be fair bit of work to get this up and running again

thanks in advance

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is a cPanel account for "mydomain.com", you see it in whm-> account information-> list accounts

You should create a package that fits your needs and assing that package to "mydomain.com" account.

The cPanel account for domain "mydomain.com" has reseller privileges, but otherwise it is just like any other account.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You may need to contact your web hosting provider and have them ensure the account is owned by the reseller instead of as "root". Otherwise, even if you can not see it from WHM, you can still access cPanel as this account by using the same username and password that you use to access Web Host Manager as the reseller. Simply use the cPanel login URL with the same login details.

Thank you.