The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primary Domain expired, DKIM not verified for server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Cancerian69, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Cancerian69

Cancerian69 Registered

Apr 17, 2016
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I've seen this a few times, but I'm not sure if it causes problems at all. Someone decides to change their business' domain, and adds the new domain as an Addon domain in cPanel. Once the old domain expires, DKIM in Email Authentication displays an error about how it couldn't verify that the server is a authoritative nameserver for Assuming that all domains on the cPanel use the same name servers, will DKIM work indefinitely for the addon and subdomains that are used and registered? Does the primary domain have to be changed for proper authentication? This is more important for users without root access to their environment.

I'd like to advise people to leave their primary domain alone as it can cause issues for scripts that reference file structure, but I'd like to know that it's good advice.

- Removed - This is a Link to google images search result.
    #1 Cancerian69, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The DKIM records are not dependent on a domain name, so it's not an issue if the primary domain name associated with the account is expired. That said, it's a good idea to ensure valid domain names are utilized should a user want to disable DKIM, and then enable it again at some point in the future.

Thank you.