The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Apr 15, 2014.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    MXLookup gives my DNS two errors:

Code:
    Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent
    Local NS list does not match Parent NS list

I'm not sure if this is a problem, though.

I have two domains on the server that I use as nameservers. The first domain is listed under "NS Record Report" as the main nameserver, and the second was done by adding two NS records to the DNS records that point to the same IPs as the first.

The errors above occur for the domain that uses the second domain as a nameserver.

I'm not aware of any problems with people connecting to the server, but I'm concerned that if this is considered an error then I might have a problem in the future; or, it's just as possible that I'm inadvertently causing a slower connection.

Am I correct in assuming that this setup is why I'm getting these errors?

If so, is there a "correct" way to do the same thing? All I'm really trying to do is hide the nameserver to anyone glancing at the WHOIS; it's not really important, but I kinda like it unless it's a long-term problem.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The messages you are referring to likely indicate that different name servers are used at the domain regsistrar compared to what's used in the DNS zone for the domain name. This will not cause any DNS resolution problems, but it's often a good idea to ensure these name servers match in-case you decide to stop using one set of name servers at some point, or in-case a client decides to use those same websites to look for warnings/errors.

Thank you.