The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by George Michael, May 11, 2016.

1. George Michael

George Michael Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have 2 mx entry hostname remote.example.com(80.248.x.xxx) and example.com(50.63.xx.xxx). I have deleted remote.example.com but when I do an mx lookup I still see remote.example.com. I do not want my email resolving to this anymore. I have changed this on mx entry and set example as 0 priority but still get this issue.
    also if I do a dns lookup I get "There is a problem. We were not able to find a Start of Authority (SOA) record which may indicate a DNS problem"
    how do I resolve.

#1 George Michael, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sometimes it can happen due to dns cache. Wait for some time and see if you are able to see correct MX lookups.

3. ssfred

ssfred Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Most probably it would be DNS cache issue and it will get cleared within a couple of days. Meanwhile make sure that the MX records are updated in your name servers as well. You can check it by using the below command

# dig -t MX @ns.domain.com domain.com +short

If it too fails to return the expected result, check the DNS zone file and confirm that the SOA serial number has a higher value than the cached one. If the modification was done through a cPanel, the value gets increased automatically.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

As mentioned, it's likely a case of DNS cache, however you can use a tool such as IntoDNS.com to verify your domain name uses name servers associated with the cPanel server you made the DNS changes on.

Thank you.